Lag and rubber banding. Time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by cosmicvibration, Mar 24, 2019.

1. We've been experiencing a bit of lag and rubberbanding. It's in spikes and not very bad right now but concerned about it getting worse. Thinking it may be time to upgrade our servers.

We're currently running on a 20gb shared, and considering making the jump to dedicated.

Before we go that route, I'd really like to make sure it's not something else causing the problem.

https://timings.spigotmc.org/?url=asibapoful

2. 20GB Xmx for your instance? I sincerely hope not.

You shouldn't need more than 5GB~ for that. Please see https://mcflags.emc.gs for java flags.
    If you are using 20GB of memory, it will cause great lag spikes with the wrong java flags.

Your timings don't show signs of lag either. Sounds like GC is your issue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I am running at 20GB shared memory. From reading your articles it seems like it may be bad to run too much memory? Is the size actually causing a problem (other than paying too much for it!)

Entering each of these flags into the startup parameters on a 20GB server would these settings be appropriate?

-Xms6G -Xmx6G
    -XX:+UseG1GC
    -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions
    -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=100
    -XX:+DisableExplicitGC
    -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90
    -XX:G1NewSizePercent=40
    -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=60
    -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=50
    -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch

Is there anything else I should adjust?

4. Why did you adjust things? please use them as provided

Code (Text):
    java -Xms6G -Xmx6G -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=100 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:G1NewSizePercent=50 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=80 -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=35 -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -Dusing.aikars.flags=mcflags.emc.gs

5. I adjusted them because of this:

Higher Old Generation Memory Needs

If you have a high player count and use more than 10GB of memory, and are seeing old generation lag spikes, you may want to adjust the following:

• -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=60
    • -XX:G1NewSizePercent=40

6. well you pasted 6gb in the flag list, and as i said, you don't need 20GB. use 6GB and try that.

7. 20 gb is just my total ram, not my xms settings. I didn't have anything set up for these (which after reading a lot makes sense why GC is a concern!)

8. FYI the 10GB comment is if your Xmx is 10GB+

• Funny Funny x 1