Lag Upon Login and Teleport - Caused by 1.8.x+ Chunk Loading

Discussion in 'Spigot Help' started by LeeTheENTP, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ***UPDATE: It has been determined that the culprit is Minecraft 1.8.x. Chunk loading was modified for 1.8 and this issue does not occur in 1.7. As of 16w02a, the issue persists in snapshots for 1.9.***

I've been having an issue with my server for a while and have been unable to resolve it. Whenever a player logs into the server or teleports to chunks he doesn't have loaded, there is a considerable amount of time between when he logs in/teleports and when he can move around and do things. The login/teleport is nearly instant, but it seems it takes a while for the server to catch up.

Here is a video demonstrating the issue:

Here is what it looks like to other players:

Here are the server's specs:
    • Xeon E3-1276v3 CPU (4 cores, 8 threads, 3.6GHz)
    • 32GB DDR3-1333MHz RAM
    • 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 1TB WD Blue for backup
    • 1Gbps connection to the router, 150Mbps Internet connection, 100Mbps connection to the local network (we have CAT5 running in our house)
    • All servers tested are running Minecraft version 1.8.8
    Here are the steps I have taken to investigate the issue (none of which helped bring me closer to the cause):
    • Play over the local network
    • Play over the Internet
    • Play on a vanilla server hosted on the same box while the main server wasn't running (to verify that it wasn't a Spigot/Bukkit issue - it's not)
    • Switching between Craftbukkit and Spigot
    • Testing different storage devices with varying speeds
    Here are the steps I have taken in attempt to resolve the issue (none of which have resolved the issue):
    • Switch between Craftbukkit and Spigot
    • Upgrade to a faster hard drive
    • Upgrade to an SSD
    • Allocated more RAM to the server
    • Turned down the server's view distance from 10 chunks down to both 5 and 1
    Here is a timings report for my server: http://timings.aikar.co/?url=13286497

Here is my server launch script: http://hastebin.com/elicexugek.hs

I have been at this for months now and have made no progress towards resolving the issue.

#1 LeeTheENTP, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Holy cow, I hope you find the resolution.

3. Same for me, exactly the same

4. Scrayos

Supporter

I'm experiencing the exactly same problem. My server runs with only 3 considerably low performance-influencing plugins and I'm still having that. Considering I've written 2 of those plugins on my own and the 3rd is ProtocolLib I'm convinced this has to be related to the server-software itself.

5. I'm thinking the JVM might be stressed for some reason, but I wouldn't put it past API overhead or some other part of Craftbukkit/Spigot.

6. Scrayos

Supporter

I doubt that. My Server has 8 GB RAM just for this one server (without players) and the CPU's chilling at around 5%. Also I'm using Java 8 which should fix most Garbage-Collection-"Lags". I wouldn't know what the JVM could be stressed of, considering the environment.

7. I'm in an almost identical situation, though my idle CPU usage is slightly lower.

You think it's Craftbukkit/Spigot, then?

8. Scrayos

Supporter

Yeah. None of my plugins alter anything on login/teleport and it's happening. My TPS is at straight 20.00 and my ping is also very low.

But it does not happen on my hub-server. So I think it's may dependent on the config. There are various things which are configured different. Just to name one of them: X-Ray-Protection ... or there's also the amount of entities, the amount of "non-void-chunks" on my game-server and so on. There has to be some difference, causing this, because they're also on the same machine.

PS: Got to apologize for my bad english, it's 6 AM over here already, and ... I gotta go to sleep.

9. I was thinking that there was a plugin or config option causing it, but when the problem persisted on a vanilla server running on the same box, I began to look elsewhere.

10. I, too, sometimes experience this issue.

11. What have you done to combat it?

12. Does this happen to all the players? Where is the server provided from?

13. I'm pretty sure that its a problem in where your server is located

14. This happens to all players. The server is hosted at my house.

It's less than 50 feet from my computer, so location is not an issue.

15. Really hosted in your house with 150mbps, and 32gb of ram?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yes...?

17. Your problem is that you're hosting it off a home connection.

18. Okey, ignore the home hoster, this bug appears on my and others Servers eg Scrayos and royalkingkb. The Fact that he hosted it at home is not the Solution for anythingthing.