Learning new programming language

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Stef, Jun 4, 2016.

1. you can make money with any language, and php and js are slowly and steadily dying out as people realize there are good alternatives / you can use languages that transpile into javascript that are not so much of a pain

2. Kotlin is great!

3. How is JavaScript dying...? It's used in almost every website on the internet even on this very page. I'd say it's growing, not dying. Or do you mean writing plain javascript is dying..?

4. Writing plain JavaScript is dying.

5. If you want to get into doing robotics such as me I could recommend learning C, very useful for those kinds of things. if your looking to do administration of server management I would normally use Ruby or Python as they're quite good at those kinds of jobs.

6. C.. What is this, 1990?

7. Yeah, how about ALGOL W?
    (jokes on me, but ALGOL W is literally more modern in some things than Java is)

8. Scary, really.
    But i would just be horrified to learn that any project started in the last 15-20 years would even consider using C, since C++ is a straight upgrade and much easier to use, and almost any C libraries can be used in C++ projects..

9. Oh goodie... an invitation to corrupt another programmer.... ;-)

Well it depends, right?

After decades of writing code one realizes that it comes down to the kind of problem you want to solve. Usually that lends a bit of direction into what kind of language and system will solve that problem.

You learned Java. Great. You can always learn more. Generics, Lambdas, Byte Code Injection, all the cool stuff, right?

C# is another language you have in your list, and you can apply the same reasoning there. Although I don't recall if C# lets you fitz around with it like Java can. Need to look into it.

As far as a new language, maybe look at from another perspective. What new problem do you want to solve and then analyze which language of the hundreds that are useful can help you resolve the problem.

My $0.02, learn C++. It's the lingua franca for Software Engineers. It's never out of style, it pays well, and it has all the sharp edges to make you want to learn it as well as you can.

Then again, since you know Java/C# you can test out your skill by teaching new kids Java.

Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. I currently have been following C# tutorials, it's nice to get back into again. I've heard C++ is really good too, so I might look into that. Currently I have no intention to do anything useful with the language. Just so I've got something to do when I have nothing to do.

11. If you're not sure what to do with your life, take a look at game design and/or development. Since you don't suck at programming like I do, get Unity 5. It runs on C# with options on Javascript, it's probably the easiest game-engine out there short of GameMaker.
    it's got loads of assets (some paid, and some free) on the marketplace, so you don't need to worry about art for any games you might make.
    Start with a simple fps on a simple terrain (super-easy to make), then start tweaking the mechanics, making them more complicated.

Even a total programming blockhead like me could handle the basics. with a few tutorials on C# in Unity you'd have it down in no time at all (most of the people in my year could make fully functional 2D games after about 30 hours of practice)

12. To add to that, while in my previous post I recommended unity and thus C#, C++ is generally used in most other engines.
    from what I know, C++ leaves the most paths open to you for choice. If I ever get rid of my block I'm probably learning that first.

13. Is this "block" harder to completely uninstall than microsoft visual studios?

14. I suggest trying languages that are using completely different programming paradigms to broaden your thinking. Functional languages are a good example. Check Haskell, Erlang or Scala.

#55 Darastlix, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. PHP is still the most used server side language. JavaScript has more GitHub repositories than Coffeescript and TypeScript combined. In fact, JavaScript has the most active GitHub repositories out of all the other languages.

16. I'm surprised that Java is that high in the list.
    I have done one game for Ludum Dare 35 in Java. I'm not really a fan of fps games, but I'm sure I can come up with another idea that isn't too hard.

17. Sure. Though I strongly recommend trying any language other than Java. When it comes to programming games, java is definitely not one of the best languages.
    That minecraft was able to grow so big on java is quite a miracle, really.

18. I know Java isn't the best, however I'm most familiar with it and quite like Java. Maybe I'll try another programming language at the next Ludum Dare (have to be quick though if I want to achieve that).

• Like Like x 1
  19. For 2D games, libraries like LibGDX are great. More so with Kotlin.