Learning new programming language

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Stef, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Whenever I see it being used on YouTube it seems really hard, so I get demotivated to learn it and stick to the default java (swing) assets.

2. Those are still a stretch. I've made a crappy 2D game myself in a system based on java (called Processing 2, ugh), and it was so bloody annoying to do. In C# it went so much easier.
    Still, if you know java it's easier to get started with.

3. Idk if there is anything more easy then LibGDX. So you could either use a premade game engine like the n00bs, or learn LibGDX. Everything looks difficult at first glance, don't let that stop you or you'll never get anywhere with programming.

4. Tux

Tux

A lot of people (even the big game studios) use pre-made game engines. Are you implying that Valve's employees (for instance) have the programming knowledge of a 12 year-old?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes.

Have you ever looked at the source engine code, or for that matter, any of the other stuff valve spits out, including steam? Buggy beyond belief, and just reading the source engine can give people brain damage.

Maybe valve was not a good example.

6. Tux

Tux

Yes, game engines are old, confusing, and have large code bases. You have a point here. But rolling your own game engine is much more difficult, and it is also sure to be riddled with bugs. Using a pre-made one gets you started more quickly. Of course, some of these engines' bugs will bite you, and you'll have to fix it or get around the issue somehow, which can hamper productivity and lead time, which is a fair point.

My argument is over productivity and lead time, not "does the game engine have bugs"?

#66 Tux, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. Most game companies use existing engines because making your own engine requires plethora of effort and is very time consuming process. Of course making your own engine might be very interesting and you will be able to learn a lot of thing by doing that.
    I suggest using Vulkan API for writing custom engine. Vulkan is rather new and more low-level than OpenGL. You will also have more control over the rendering process and will learn completely new technology that might be useful in the future. It is also worth to note that Crytek release source code of CryEngine. It is available on GitHub.

8. I figured with my use of "n00bs" you'd see it as a joke rather then a serious statement. Oh well..

And about 99.99999% of these game companies you speak of use HEAVILY modified engines. Annnd a lot of times they do a terrible job in the process (I'm looking at you Bethesda.. Can't even check for null pointers..?).

I'm not saying don't use anything premade, that'd just be a complete waste of time. I'm more or less implying that you shouldn't rely on low level scripting and big fat engines to do all the hard work.

9. Kotlin is an amazing language.

10. Tux

Tux

In a thread like this, that kind of statement could be taken seriously. That being said, I have zero interest in game development.

11. Please people, don't use that stereotype.

EDIT: @bob7l Why the funny rating? I know a few people younger than 12 who are good programmers, and a lot in the range of 11-14.

#71 jojoe77777, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Maybe people don't like having to code the entire engine from from scratch every new game they make. If you want to ridicule them, go ahead. It just makes you a stuck-up programming addict.