Suggestion Let us know Spigot's financial status.

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by 4chan, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4chan

Supporter

I think it would be kind of neat if we could learn about:
    • Spigot's server hosting fees/other hosting-related stuff.
    • Spigot's monthly income.
    • Spigot's marketing-related spendings.
    • Minecon payments/other conventions.
    • Beer money.
    Perhaps this is not my business, but I would find it interesting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. saphiria

Artist

We used to have a thread that did that in the Donation Enquires section, and @md_5 said he might post an updated one in the future (that was a while ago). So, I think this has a good chance of being made again.

3. 4chan

Supporter

Oh, cool. I don't remember that being a thing. Maybe I'm not completely out of my mind asking this after all!

4. saphiria

Artist

But, I think it only included two of the four (five) things listed.
    • Spigot's server hosting fees/other hosting-related stuff.
    • Spigot's payments/other conventions.
    It would be really cool if they added Minecon, marketing, and monthly income.

5. It's 8 to 9 figures fam.

*edit*
    Fingers*

6. Maximvdw

Benefactor

Probably off the charts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. 4chan

Supporter

Thought that bit might be a bit off the public level.

8. I'd imagine now with Spigot's popularity and size in the community, it's a lot more than "2x vultr server, 1x namecheap domain". They likely have taxes and all that official shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 4chan

Supporter

Que es porque quiero a se.

10. I don't see this as useful information, Spigot is a LLC company which means they are entitled to the rights of not having to share income etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Smh

12. 4chan

Supporter

I think it's nice to do that when you're earning simply from open source donations from a project many (non-staff) have contributed to.

13. Care to elaborate?
    Edit: I may be confusing a Limited Liability Company with a Private Limited Company :p

I donate to a project because I want to ensure I have done my bit to help it out, not because I want to snoop on how much everyone else is donating and how much the project is profiting.

14. 4chan

Supporter

I donate to help out, but I'd like to know how much of our money goes to which bits.

15. JamesJ

Supporter

It's an Ltd.
    LLC is in the US only.
    Ltd's are required to publicize their income / revenue / profits / costs (atleast in the UK, I would assume Australia is similar due to it's history with England).

@OP: I don't think it's any of your business, or anyone's to be honest - other than Michael's..

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Does it really matter? I don't see whether sharing it or not is gonna make a difference.

17. 4chan

Supporter

It's just something interesting to see. It doesn't matter at all, it's just an idea.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Yeah, that's what I was thinking; LCCs don't I assume?

Maybe ask for them to be placed into percentage form if you are really that interested, I still don't really care; the forums are online and Spigot is continuing to be developed so I'm happy :)

19. md_5

Administrator Developer

I don't think its reasonable, in general, to expect a private entity, even one as community based as ourselves to provide full disclosure into all of it's business dealings.

The short answer is that the only time I can definitively look back on the year and see what went where is tax season (July), but in general the expense split generally goes about equal parts between regular payments (hosting etc), irregular payments (theme upgrades, professional services), and developers (myself and Thinkofdeath).

Especially with regards to professional services, (hypothetically) stating that X month we suddenly spent Y dollars on legal consultation probably raises more questions than it answers.

I saw someone mention MINECON above, the situation for that is a little bit different (we don't yet know if we will be approved for a booth), but since for events like that we explicitly ask for money (running our booth requires about 6 months worth of donations (excluding the 20%ish we put in ourselves), we do provide a little bit of extra information (last year it was a percentage progress bar), and it's relatively easy to see where the money went (plus we can disclose most things aside from actual booth space). From memory last year major single expenses included $300 on flyers, $700 on wristbands (which we plan to double this year). Then there was also cashflow to account for including $3000 upfront for tshirts (assumed risk there) and another $3000 for the lunch.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.