Low-Level Languages

Discussion in 'Programming' started by are0planes, May 14, 2015.

1. .

#1 are0planes, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. You can use gcc to compile C into MIPS assembly (after installing a few tools to do so), a language that a lot of programmers are already familiar with. C is usually regarded as good for lower-level programming, if you're really picky about the code you're producing, but if you're writing anything extensive, I would pickup a C++ compiler for the architecture. The codesorrcery toolchain is worth looking at, then.
    MIPS isn't a language, it's an instruction set. I would suggest, at least, to use C over writing with an assembler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. .

#3 are0planes, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  4. It's great to know the architecture, as will knowing any other architecture you're programming for will. You will be able to optimize per-instruction if you know what you're doing, and you will be able to inline assembly instructions in C/C++ if you do switch to using those languages. The reality behind what you're doing is that you'll take forever be able to structure out any practical code writing in an assembler.

Most people whom are concerned about per-instruction performance tend to stick to programming in C, and it's an incredibly simple language (syntax and concept-wise), so I would suggest checking it out.

5. Assembly is really fun when using it for processors that don't support C, like the 6502 (which the NES used).