Low TPS (Tile Entity issue?)

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by edupaz98, May 13, 2017.

1. Hey, I run a Factions server with around 100 plugins and 120 online users normally. During the past few days I'm experiencing TPS loss to around 15 TPS. I've been studying my timings and plugins but the only thing that seems to be causing lag are Tile Entities (Especially Spawners and Hoppers). When I do /lag, Essentials show me that there are around 35000 Tiles in the main world.

My host is a dedicated OVH with 64 GB (I allocate 16GB for my Factions server).

I have followed this guide to optimize Spigot: https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/gu...remove-lag-fix-tps-improve-performance.21726/ and I use the Java flags specified there.

Here you can see my timings:

https://timings.aikar.co/?id=d2ff2d0a1aaa4338bb52c73450f68076

Thank you very much for your support.

2. I'm not sure if this is true, but someone told me that ticking tile entities is extremely inefficient in Minecraft, so they cause major stress on the server. On my server, we had around 22,000 tiles and would experience a lot of lag. We encouraged players to stop using ridiculous amounts of hoppers in their farms, and we have since seen a reduction in tile entities and lag. I know this isn't a detailed and technical diagnosis, but I hope my experience can be of some use to you. (Our server is also dedicated, 16gb of RAM allocated and hosted with Limestone Networks)

3. electronicboy

IRC Staff

most of your lag appears to be caused by: ChunkSpawnerLimiter.

also, up XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent to 70, and set XX:MaxGCPauseMillis back to 100, longer hinted max pause times allows G1 to get its stuff done so it should have room to breath, otherwise you end up with GC firing more often. These should hopefully stop G1 Old gen collections, beyond your major impact looking to be ^, GC isn't really helping all too much.

4. Thanks for your help @AntCat17, definitely Hoppers are a major issue in my server.

So @electronicboy should I remove ChunkSpawnerLimiter? I'm going to give it a try and also change the flags as you told me.

Thanks!

5. electronicboy

IRC Staff

You're ticking about 12k hoppers per tick, in the current scheme of things you wouldn't notice if you removed all hoppers with the current state of your server, the load they're placing is nothing compared to CSL (which yes, I suggest removing)