Low TPS

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Bombasts, Jul 17, 2019.

1. My server has grown like crazy, and as a result the TPS has taken a major hit. After using the server optimization guide the TPS is still 13-17 most of the time. I'm using a KS-10 server from Kimsufi, if I upgrade to a better server, for example an OVH or SoYouStart will it improve?

Here is my run command
    screen java -Xms8G -Xmx8G -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=100 -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:G1NewSizePercent=50 -XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=80 -XX:G1MixedGCLiveThresholdPercent=35 -XX:+AlwaysPreTouch -XX:+ParallelRefProcEnabled -Dusing.aikars.flags=mcflags.emc.gs -jar spigot.jar

2. I might be able to help so bare with me

Mind telling me what plugins you are using and your average player count. Also try /timings on and after 5-10 minutes try /timings paste and have a look at what is causing you to have low TPS

3. Attached Files:

4. Looks like entities are causing your issue. I'm not so familiar with Paper Spigot but try editing the "paper.yml" file in your server directory and lower render distance and entity-tracking-range.

If you're unsure about anything I've found a helpful link for you that explains everything in your paper.yml so just configure this to how you want it and just trial and error to get it working better for you https://paper.readthedocs.io/en/paper-1.11/config/

5. entity-tracking-range:
    players: 48
    animals: 48
    monsters: 48
    misc: 32
    other: 64

What should I change them to?

6. If you haven't already, try changing "entity-activation-range:" down to about half for each, this I believe is the distance in which their AI will kick in properly and will attack you / charge you, whichever so try animals and monsters to be 24. Also depending on how many players and if they are generating new terrain it could be really helpful on your server load if "view-distance" is lowered. If not already try something like 12 or 8 view-distance.

If that doesn't take off the server load abit then try turning "entity-tracking-range" to 24 for animals and monsters. Just a note, it does take a full server restart to these changes to take affect, not a /reload

7. Thank you so much, that made a very noticeable difference:
    https://timings.aikar.co/?id=58408949757040daba15893990b1f4e9

But there's 30 players on right now, don't know how it will handle 50. But 17 - 20 tps so far

8. Great! Glad that has helped. Unfortunately I'm not an expert with every little bit of detail, maybe someone will be able to chip in and give their wisdom to help any further but even 17-20 TPS is good and still playable!

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Yep! Again thank you so much for the help

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. If your issue is about too many entities and their AI, I might recommend you UltimateStacker plugin which can stacks mobs (only mobs you choose to, highly configurable) and increase your server performance. This is really helpful for mobs farm like cow, chicken, pigs, ...

11. https://timings.aikar.co/?id=c8eb0bfe1feb494c894a9131b741a22a

I'm getting like 12 tps again even though yesterday it was great after I took his tips

12. I have a stacker but there’s around 10k or more entities on average so I’ll probably test around with the mob cap but I know it’s gonna make some players with grinders mad probably