Minecraft 1.11 Roadmap

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. md_5

Administrator Developer

Having seen the Bukkit system from the inside, it was essentially useless and I'm skeptical of the need for such a versioning system most of the time in Minecraft. Mainly because it's hard to draw the line between when a new version should be cut; when there is a need for such a new version, normally Mojang has released a new version anyway; we don't have the capacity to make changes to more than one branch of code at a time anyway.
    I think however in terms of the "day one" issues we are no different from the CraftBukkit release process - we don't "release" new versions to general availability for about a week afterwards (ie: you need to specifically use --rev 1.11 to get it till then).

2. md_5

Administrator Developer

Possibly also worth noting that Bukkit went for basically a year without a recommended build, and never even released a 1.7 one. This caused people to disregard the whole system anyway. I would give more exact dates, but the dates are broken on the Bukkit forums at the moment....

3. Demonly

Patron

I'm curious MD_5, will we EVER be able to assist in development and spigot be open source once again?

4. md_5

Administrator Developer

Spigot IS open source.
    Check README.md in the source downloaded by BuildTools for how to contribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. All you have to do is fill out the CLA

6. Legoman99573

Supporter

People still seek 1.7 support?

To @md_5. Will it be major changes or will it be like 1.10 Where its the same as 1.9, but with 1.10 items added?

7. md_5

Administrator Developer

It's hard to be accurate, but it's slightly less than twice the size of 1.9->1.10 and a bit over half the size of 1.8->1.9

8. I started really playing MC a tiny bit before 1.8 came out (around August 2014), and the first update after that (besides 1.8.x) was 1.9, in February 2016. And then in June 2016, 1.10 came out. Now in November, 1.11 is coming out..? What happened to pacing updates? (or Microsoft is just speed-developing the game)

9. Pretty sweet we got a road map. Now we can't get lost, or crash the Spigot car!!!

10. Dear everyone who does not update to the latest version:

Use this. You can have people join on a ton of versions, and you can run spigot with all the latest bug fixes. If you run bungeecord, and want to use with 1.7, maybe use this. That is what I do on my server, and it works for me.

11. Yes, I remember. The long delay before RB in some cases was just stupid. My intention wasn't to defend the specific implementation of that concept, but just to point out how it can be helpful to end users to have a dividing line -- though artificial -- of when to begin using it. Labels can be used to indicate general evaluated stability. We're talking about casual admins here -- those without the time to do their own evaluation and could use an approximation.

In any case, I'm fine with the current approach. I have to do the evaluation work anyway. And I think delaying the release will have a somewhat similar effect of improving percentages as staggered releases would -- increasing confidence.

Mojang decided to stop doing massive updates like 1.8 (almost every version was increasing in size and complexity), and instead go back to doing smaller more frequent updates.

12. electronicboy

IRC Staff

In general, it's considered stable once it's promoted to latest and you don't have to use a rev flag to build it.

The system didn't actually work, anybody who wanted to run the latest client would just grab a beta/dev build and then cry when it was broken, anybody who had plugins that didn't rely on just the API would wait until their plugins were updated. The way Spigot is developed means that the chance of breakage is actually very slim, it's virtually pointless to start putting 'RB' releases because of this, each version is likely to have more fixes with a somewhat slim chance of a regression, so the chance of a older build actually being more stable than latest is actually kinda rare :)

As for 1.8 PvP, No matter what plugin you install on your server, you can't change the feel of the client, which is a nice chunk of where the issues exist. people already know you can tweak the cooldowns and stuff like that, but you can't change how the client feels. Hopefully a bug fix relating to the actual hitpoint of the client will help fix that, but movement of the player still feels kinda bloated unless they tweaked that in 1.11

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cool

14. Is SpigotMC looking for any contributors? I could have a look into it, I'm pretty busy, but maybe one day I have time to be part of the team, if possible.

15. electronicboy

IRC Staff

16. Legoman99573

Supporter

Basically the APIs being cleaned out with cleaner code and 1.11 items being added pretty much?

17. Legoman99573

Supporter

They aren't going to support older builds and I think clients will get use to it since it leaves a larger advantage of killing a user in PvP unlike those who spam click and get your health nowhere but minus half a heart.

18. MiniDigger

Supporter

there are quite a lot of internal changes at mojangs part that need to be adapted in craftbukkit and the api

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Spigot/Craftbukkit is patched ontop of MC. Which means that all of the refactoring that MC has done to entities and items has to be factored into CB/Spigot.

wat? Your comment in no way even addresses mine, nor does it appear to follow anything I've actually said throughout this topic if you bothered to read. The issue is that there is that there are fundamental differences in the CLIENT which affects PvP, which is why plugins can get close, but they don't actually target most of what people are complaining about. If you're addressing my comment of the bugfix, That's a bugfix that they're are applying in 1.11, to fix a regression that was introduced in 1.9. And even still, player movement in 1.9 feels sluggish.

20. Do you remove support 1.8 version on the last version (with 1.11) of bungeecord or no ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.