Minecraft 1.13: API Preview 1

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Jan 14, 2018 at 4:42 AM.

1. md_5

Administrator Developer

Following on from https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/minecraft-1-13-what-to-expect.288714/, the first preview of the Minecraft 1.13 Bukkit API is now available at: https://hub.spigotmc.org/stash/proj...urceBranch=refs/heads/preview&targetRepoId=11

I will not be making a specific overview of changes at this time, but will leave the following points for discussion:
    • None of this is final, nor necessarily indicative what will ultimately be released. That being said a lot of time has been spent carefully designing the API to provide the best combination of compatibility with old plugins, and interfacing with the new server. Significant changes are unlikely.
    • Older plugins may successfully run on Bukkit 1.13, even if they do not compile against the 1.13 API as the server will provide several legacy interfaces as required. Plugins built on the 1.13 API will not run on earlier versions of the server. A significant amount of time and testing has gone on already to try and ensure compatibility is as good as it possibly can be.
    • The principle change is the org/bukkit/block/data package and associated interfaces.
    • Happy to discuss most specific questions in this thread

Enjoy,
    ~md_5

• Like x 37
    • Winner x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Useful x 3
    • Informative x 2
  2. md_5

Administrator Developer

Reserved

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. sweet! just want to say thanks for all the work put into new versions, incredible how fast you guys work. thanks for it all and what u contribute to the server community<3

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I hope via version works D:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Can't wait for more updates to come! :)
    Thanks Spigot team! You're better than bukkit's by far! (If they have one left)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. 2008Choco

Resource Staff

This is actually fantastic. I've been waiting to see a diff of changes to the API for a long time now and I think having the perspective of other developers is going to greatly improve it from its current state. Thank you for sharing the current API so early. Always love your hard work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. wont unless the devs add support for it

8. Cool cool! Sounds like I'll need to do a bit of updating, but that's fine. Change is good. Thanks for the update, md_5! =)

9. Will this work in my 1.7 PvP sever?

• Funny Funny x 20
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. This thread is about the 1.13 API update. It would not affect your outdated version.

11. yes of course it will compile all of your plugins using the new API it is backwards compatible just like all Spigot / Bukkit updates were

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. [​IMG]
    No it is only compatible with your 1.4.7 server.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Can't wait to try 1.13 when its available, though some plugins Im using would die and cannot use any alternatives sadly

14. eh, if some plugins die, they will probably be replaced, it happens quite a bit really..

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 2008Choco

Resource Staff

I don't know about you guys, but I've already jumped the gun and added 1.13 support to VeinMiner :) Still a few things that need to be tweaked, but overall, in theory, it should work given the current API diff provided by md_5 in the preview branch. I understand that some API features are not finalized, but I figured I'd get a little bit ahead and get some support up and ready so I don't have to do as much work when Minecraft 1.13 drops. I'm not going to leave people sitting in the dark just waiting for an update for weeks after release.

I don't necessarily recommend that developers update to the diffed API on the preview branch unless they understand what they're doing! I just figured I'd get a head start.

16. He's making a joke. The guy is funny.

This update is one of my favorites so far. I especially like the fact that there's a proper way to create a full bed. I also noticed the lovely new Lightable interface. It looks like, in addition to redstone torches and furnaces, redstone ore is Lightable.. Does this mean we finally have a nice way to interact with that pesky block?

17. yea, im pretty much waiting for 1.13 before i start releasing public plugins or do any major work for my own private plugin (so im sorta in a finish what i have, but don't add anything stage atm while i wait) ill probably also wait a bit and see what doesn't get updated and slowly put up my own replacements aswell

18. As a discussion point.
    I would be interested in there being a method to check whether a Material can manifest itself as an ItemStack. Whether this looks like the method isBlock() in the Material enum, I do not know (but probably).
    I think it is a necessary addition; as both blocks and items are muddied together as 'Materials'. Yes, it has been mixed before now as well, but this seems like an ideal time to resolve the inability to make this distinction through the api.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. md_5

Administrator Developer

That could be added to 1.12. What would you use it for?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Awesome! Great work md_5.

Anything relating to the new command system?