Minecraft 1.13: API Preview 2

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Legoman99573

Supporter

Yes, it will work for your 1.0 server, except block ids

2. 2008Choco

Resource Staff

It's almost as though every plugin required an update for every new feature added in future versions of Minecraft. Hmmm... If having to update your plugins is a struggle, why even bother becoming a plugin developer? These are things you should expect. Bukkit doesn't have to be backwards compatible, but it's doing it's damn best. If you're not happy with it, make your own server software and see how difficult it really is. I've never once seen a pull request from you on the open source software so you have no room to complain. You should have been in the IRC seeing how much md_5 was struggling to try and keep backwards compatibility as best as possible throughout the past couple of months. This is the best he could come up with and I think it's a great compromise.

The Bukkit Material enum has been out of sync with Minecraft for a very long while now and it's been becoming more and more out of sync as time goes on and new versions become available. A lot of Material constants were indistinguishable from their Minecraft counter parts. For example, IRON_BARDING. There is no such thing as barding in the current version of Minecraft leading to confusion for many developers and server owners alike. I, for one, absolutely love these Material constant updates because it provides users with a 1:1 list of all vanilla materials. I now do not have to tell them "Look at this page (link to Material Javadoc) for a list of valid materials" because they can just type the vanilla material now and I can easily have it converted into what I want.

If you're complaining this much about the amount of effort put into backwards compatibility, don't even bother taking part in this thread. We don't want to hear it unless you can provide an equitable and feasible alternative. At this point in time, the fact that Material is even backwards compatible is incredible to me and md_5 did a fantastic job.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. adding onto this https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/tutorial-adding-custom-patches-to-spigot.158694/ <-- make your own patch to revert the change if it bothers you this badly

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. PR or shutup.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. md_5

Administrator Developer

Did you read the thread?
    Plugins compiled against 1.12 using WOOD_HOE will still work completely fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Legoman99573

Supporter

1.13 is a major update and as expected, plugins will break as expected in looking at snapshot changes and 1.13 being called "The Technical Update". Block ids were removed and some block names were changed as expected and i bet block names will be changed again before pre release is out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I was [rudely] asking what the reason was before ever doing that. Not sure if you fully read what I said but it doesn’t make sense to PR and just revert changes

I see

• never said updating my plugin was a problem
    • not really complaining, more offering insight and another viewpoint, and [rudely] asking why a change was made
    Not sure why you are jumping down my throat with a wall of text? Is this a discussion thread or what

Could have just answered my question with this

If your going to get so hostile about a simple comment, don’t even bother reading my messages

8. 2008Choco

Resource Staff

I see that even you state that your comments were rude, therefore an equal reply should be expected. It's frustrating dealing with people like this on a daily basis and having people complain about an API that they get completely for free, no charge whatsoever, is just the cherry on top. Provide an alternative and have it discussed. Until then, treat others the way you wish to be treated, my friend.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Now that you said there are a lot, I can't NOT spot them..
    What have you done to me, all I see are errors, errors everywhere!

Entity.java
    * @Return Current travelling velocity of this entity

Enderman.java
    * Set the id and data of the block that the Enderman is carring.

EnderDragon.java
    * The dragon will fly towards a targetted player and shoot a

Team.java
    * @Return the current name tag visibilty for the team

Plugin.java
    * When mulitple plugins are loaded, the onLoad() for all plugins is

TextureMaterial.java
    setData((byte) idx); // Defult to using all bits - override for other mappings

ItemStack.java
    * An item stack with the specified damage / durabiltiy

PerlinNoiseGenerator.java
    * @See SimplexNoiseGenerator "Improved" and faster version with slighly
    * different results

RemoveServerCommandEvent.java
    * This event is called when a command is recieved over RCON. See the javadocs

PlayerTeleportEvent.java
    * Entity/Player via the specatator menu

PlayerBucketEvent.java
    * Return the block clicked
    * @Return the blicked block

Ok, that's all i could find, it really isn't that bad.

I saw a few people post their isLit() stuff ..
    Comments are fun too! :p
    Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 23.58.18.png

Oh, I don't know if Sublime Text 3 is having a bug with the syntax highlighting, or if there's an issue with the code, but it kinda went wrong in SimplePluginManager.java around line 583. If I remove the else throw new exception, the rest of the document highlights properly again.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 00.04.24.png

10. Sorry for being inflammatory. Take complaints as constructive criticism.

Also, using the fact that someone has not directly helped with Spigot shouldn’t dispute any complaints/criticisms.

11. md_5

Administrator Developer

Thanks, I've queued those for fixing

• Like Like x 1
  12. When should we expect this on the maven repo to test with?

13. md_5

Administrator Developer

Won't be, you can compile it locally however.

14. Via buildtools? Or will I have to clone and build that way?

15. md_5

Administrator Developer

Clone, or run buildtools then switch branches in the bukkit repo

16. Maximvdw

Benefactor

Do you need a maven dependency?

Code (Text):
    <repository>
                <id>public</id>
                <name>Public Repositories</name>
                <url>http://repo.mvdw-software.be/content/groups/public/</url>
            </repository>

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.bukkit</groupId>
      <artifactId>bukkit</artifactId>
      <version>18w02a-R0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

#96 Maximvdw, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  17. BiggestDigger

BiggestDigger Previously Boringness

MD_5 reply to this bae <3

18. So this means that items in plugins that are identified by number will need revamp?

19. MiniDigger

Supporter

Yes. If you use numbers to identify the type of material of an item or block (which has been deprecated for years) you will need to adjust, craftbukkit might try to provide combat but that's in no way guaranteed to work properly.

20. I've been trying to prepare for the ID removal in configs for a bit now. I've come up with a cute way of getting the material from the minecraft:key name. It's definitely a workaround to actual problem, but until a sure way of getting the item registry, it does work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I am probably also just missing an easy method of doing this.

Code (Text):
    public static Material getMaterial(String name) {
            return CraftItemStack.asNewCraftStack(Item.REGISTRY.get(new MinecraftKey(name))).getType();
    }
    I guess that when the API comes out, I'll simply switch out the code there for the new way. I can't wait to see what this has in store.