Minecraft 1.13: API Preview 4

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Jan 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NathanWolf

Supporter

What is a "block state id" in Bukkit terms? It's not the same as a Material id?

2. I'm not 100% sure, but it's a block and its state, previously implemented via block ID and metadata, but now that metadata doesn't exist it's a more unique thing. But I'm not sure how it's exposed in the API. Just Material though is effectively only block ID and not state; the state matters for things like, say, wet farmland vs dry farmland.

3. md_5

Administrator Developer

Don't particularly see a reason to rename them, just unnecessarily breaking.

Only two of the paintings were renamed because they were inconsistent compared to the rest and the impact is likely to be minimal. Material was done because it had to be.

Renaming the particles means even more backwards compatibility shims or breaking plugins. Both get messy fast and I don't think it's imperative for now that names match 1.13 when the previous named are basically just as descriptive.

E: also I don't think it is missing any types available at the time it was published

• Like Like x 1
  4. NathanWolf

Supporter

Thanks, that all makes sense! And I didn't realize those particles were new (since preview2) so that makes sense, too.

Well I'll just keep on waiting eagerly then :)

5. md_5

Administrator Developer

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. NathanWolf

Supporter

Awesome, thanks!

I just noticed there is a "scale" parameter for dust now ... anyone know what that is? Is it new?

EDIT: Yes, it's new- you can scale the particle up and down, seems like there isn't really a limit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's pretty exciting.

What's even more exciting is that since the dust color and size are now a separate data structure, you can spawn redstone particles with count, offset and speed like any other particles. Not to get too excited, but that's like a total game changer for custom particle effects!

[​IMG]

#386 NathanWolf, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Will there be a way to toggle the new swimming, along with a corresponding PlayerSwimEvent? I want to swim through the air lol

8. If you mean toggling between new and old, I don't think so (I don't think the old one is still included). However, if I recall correctly, you can add other blocks to the list of blocks that are water (it's just a tag) so you can swim in the air with that; at least it worked like that in an earlier snapshot. (I am pretty sure that swimming isn't a flag the server can explicitly enable or disable, but I might have missed a protocol change -- but it'd have to have been a subtle one).

9. Maximvdw

Benefactor

Will be nice to create anti-gravity with that without glitching velocity

• Like Like x 1
  10. and a new challenge for anti-cheat devs lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Legoman99573

Supporter

What is the point of Jesus hacks when you can run on top of water in 1.13 (will sink once you stop moving)

Simple: this is a challenge for hypixel and servers who use 1.8 and use viaversion :p

12. That’s why you shouldn’t use 1.8. :p Happy to see when the 1.8 servers getting into trouble supporting 1.8-1.13.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. NathanWolf

Supporter

Does anyone know if Mojang plans on releasing any "preview" builds of 1.13 like with 1.12?

Or, more directly, any chance we will get a developer preview of 1.13 at some point? It'd be awesome if we had access to whatever is running on the community server...

After weeks of work I finally got my plugin to build cleanly against the 1.13 preview API, all my configs updated to support using the new material enums (side by side with 1.12 and below names) ... but I still don't know if it'll actually run. Lots of things like loading schematics were really problematic to implement, it'd be great to know how broken it is :D

14. Mojang is releasing server snapshots jars, spigot doesn’t - md_5 had a cool reason for this

• Like Like x 1
  15. They've done -pre builds for every major release version for quite a while, so I expect them to do that here too. The spigot team's done prerelease builds for those -pre versions the past few times, so it's likely they'll do it again this time. However, when they'll actually reach the prerelease stage is hard to say, since they've still got at least one major change (with fluids) planned...

• Like Like x 3
  16. Interesting I thought the change a couple weeks ago to the latest liquid system is kept for release. Do you know which problems occurred with the current snapshot liquid system? What flaws does it have?

17. MiniDigger

Supporter

First ljne of current snapshot blog post:
    "We're getting ready to do pre-releases soon and we're working hard to fix bugs."

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dinnerbone tweeted about it here: https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/987293762069155841

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Where can I find the preview API? It was on the Spigot Nexus repoaitory, but now it's gone for some reason

20. MiniDigger

Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.