Minecraft 1.13: What to expect

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MiniDigger

Supporter

Well, we get a completely rewritten command system which allows fancy client side suggestions that are defined by the server.

2. Alright. Other than that? I heard someone saying the achievement/advancement menu will also be sending packets in 1.13 now. Any of that being true?

3. MiniDigger

Supporter

advancements have been server sided since they were added (thanks bone <3)
    you also are able to properly define recipes now that the client handles properly

4. I've already discussed this a bit with Choco and some others, but I'd like to hear the developers thoughts. Will there be a way for us to easily check if a block is, for instance, 'wool', regardless of the color? Or do we need a huge switch statement (/EnumSet) to check that? In most cases I don't care about the block's color or data value but the type of it. MaterialData would have been one way, but as that's going to be deprecated too..

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. if(block.getState().getData() instanceof Wool)..

Edit: corrected

#45 ysl3000, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. MiniDigger

Supporter

or the equivalent of that for the new block data api

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. That isn't easy while maintaining 1.7 compatibility.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Wool isn't an instance of BlockState, so that wouldn't work.
    But, as long as there's a way with the new block API that MiniDigger mentioned it's all good.

9. MiniDigger

Supporter

maybe its time to drop combat for a version that was released 1503 days or 4 years 1 month 11 days or 49 months 11 days or 214 weeks 5 days or, 1073 weekdays or 4.12 years ago.
    the api you are referring to has been deprecated for about the same time btw, you really can't expect bukkit to maintain apis that are deprecated for over 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. MiniDigger

Supporter

it works with the current material data api, something like block.getState().getData() instanceof Wool (which is extremely ugly since you are creating a full, deep copy of the blockstate for every check, as md said in the OP, blocks sadly never had a way to get the material data, but this will be changed with the new api)

11. I'm very excited for any updates, specifically when it adds so much flexibility. I as well would like to thank spigot for all it's hard work. I prefer it over bukkit for many different reasons, and also bukkit sounds like something I'll trip on, as spigot sounds like a source of fresh water. Or as freash as it can get depending on your geographical location :p

Overall, I run to spigot because it does so much to keep things working smoothly. As for servers who hate change, suck it up buttercup, and find plugins that would give almost the same result, and more features. Players love returning to a server and there's new stuff, not be like "new version, same boring life".

12. Great work as always, looking forward to the test server.

13. md_5

Administrator Developer

No, that has BEEN the backwards compatibility for four years.

• Like Like x 3
  14. So we can use like Material.GREEN_WOOL or Material.RED_WOOL soon? Nice!! But how do we know they're both wool? Maybe by adding MaterialType? Like Material.RED_WOOD.getType() which returns MaterialType.WOOL?

15. Or some similar solution.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MiniDigger

Supporter

as outlined above, there will be an api that will provide something like getData on blocks or items which you can then check if its an instance of WoolData or smth like that

17. But MaterialData will be deprecated.

18. MiniDigger

Supporter

• Winner Winner x 1