Minecraft 1.13: What to expect

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by md_5, Dec 6, 2017.

1. They technically could have gotten by with still keeping block IDs... but they were at the point where they needed to use the expanded limit (which would have performance costs) if they did so, and making the other refactors (removal of metadata, unlimited block states, dynamic block state IDs) makes the code more maintainable for the future (for both vanilla and mods).

To my understanding, forge already has the same basic thing for dynamically allocated block state IDs, although it's still constrained by the block ID + metadata combo.

2. looking forward to this!

3. this is amazing update for minecraft 1.13!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have a shop plugin which allows users to buy and sell items virtually (through the chat). The items are stored in an sql database and have been stored based on item id and data value for quite a while. This is mainly because the plugin was started in 2011, however also it was very convienient since item ids seldom change through major updates. The data stays persistant. With 1.13, I'm trying to figure out how to store the data now. I considered using spigot material names, however those appear to change between versions more often than would be ideal. Plus, the data would then be specific to spigot.

TL;DR How can I store item data (assume for every item) post-1.13 in an SQL database, having maximum persistance between major updates to the game?

5. MiniDigger

Supporter

Use the mojang naming scheme. It's what you can see on the wiki for example so that's easy for players to learn and it's used internally everywhere.

6. Is it possible to read data saved with the naming scheme into something like an ItemStack.. without having to use a massive mapping as an intermediate?

7. As with any change, there is often resistance. But here we have a positive, many editors have not been reviewed for a long time, or since release. A new platform may draw a renewed interest to have new editors and map tools coded, breaking from the obsolete platform. As mentioned by md_5, many plugin coders still use block ID's four years after previous changes.

8. md_5

Administrator Developer

If you're saving itemstacks you really should be using Bukkit's inbuilt itemstack saving.
    There are conversion methods, but its not a supported API, unlike the inbuilt stack saving.

9. MiniDigger

Supporter

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Aw danm. I always had fun playing with item IDS. Its sad to see them go.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Legoman99573

Supporter

Time to get use to block names. Block IDs have been deprecated since 1.7.10 since block IDs can crash when using mods, unless it's forge.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. I can not wait to see when the 1.13 will be finished, but I think they will stop during the holidays because of the Minecon announced on September 29 (where they will probably announce the 1.14) ^^

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Appvalley Tutuapp Tweakbox

#653 deakon, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  13. smmmadden

Benefactor

I heard rumors that 1.13 and 1.14 were going to be bundled together in one release. Kind of makes sense to flush out all the issues and take the time to get it right.

14. The update aquatic content (which was originally planned for 1.14) has already been merged into 1.13. The next 1.14 hasn't been announced yet, I believe.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MiniDigger

Supporter

Not publicly, but the creators at the recent creator summit got a sneak peak at the upcoming features

16. Well we know a few things that will be in it like new textures.

17. We're already seeing an influx of players leave the servers on the network with the argument "going to play mc on switch / bedrock / 1.13" .. they have no interest in 1.12 to stick around. Well, influx is too much .. we notice..

18. 2008Choco

Resource Staff

Honestly, I'd much rather people say "I'm going to leave 1.12 so I can play 1.13" than "I'm going to leave 1.12 so I can play 1.8". Already a great step in the right direction. lol.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. xD
    I totally agree >.<

• Like Like x 1