Minecraft and the Chinese Market

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Max604, Apr 26, 2017.

?

Does the Introduction of the Chinese Market Interest You?

1. Yes

52.0%
  2. No

32.0%
  3. Maybe

16.0%
  1. Hi, everyone,

Just saw the news that Minecraft is finally expanding to the Chinese market. What do you guys think about this? Should we try to start up Chinese servers as the audience has the potential to be very large? Has anyone else thought about being involved in the new market?

Let me know below.

Thanks,
    Max.

2. md_5

Administrator Developer

The majority will only be able to play within the great firewall. Also Chinese Minecraft is its own version so I'm not sure standard servers would be compatible.

3. It'll be interesting to see who get's involved. People will see business opportunities.

4. MiniDigger

Supporter

afaik the chinese version is a port of pocket edition, just like the win10 edition is.

5. I just want the launcher. It looks awesome.

6. Got a picture? I can't find any

7. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Every company with a product wants to get in the Chinese and Indian markets. When it comes to China, it's all just politics. Does the Chinese government want its citizens exposed to your product, and if so what does the Chinese government get in return for exposing its massive market to your product?

<insertcorruptwinkyfacehere>

9. I think most people are too much focused on government regulations/policies, that sounds like a little too extreme. There are not a lot of things that will be censored, the only thing I can think about is the skeleton.

The current Chinese version of Minecraft is Java version of Minecraft 1.10.2 with forge. Players are able to download maps, texture packs, mods (to be implemented) through the launcher. (source, about half way thru the video)

The game itself is free and will not contain paid content that will affect game balance, which is pretty much same as the current EULA (source). They are currently testing paid multiplayer server rental (source). Servers like Hypixel were interested to operate in China (source).

Netease if the affiliated company. They also run games in China like World of Warcraft, Dota2, CSGO (coming soon). They have gained positive reputation for a lot of reasons. Such as not changing the original game content, no additional in game purchases, release updates on the same day as other countries (which is a big deal, because in China, all games including every update requires government inspection, which will cause delay in release).

ps: I am Chinese.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Looks dope

True. Politics isn't the only thing, it's the way of living in those countries. Massively over simplifying, but yesterday in business studies we were looking at how Amazon and Netflix were both trying to move into the Indian market. Netflix are going to take the approach of keeping their prices the same and creating bollywood-style series to entice that market. However, Amazon are going to offer prime for a lower price due to India being a LEDC (~$3/year for the full package, jealous af) but keep everything else the same.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I knew some English network would have already tried something. :D Well done, Hypixel.