Minigame-Server Managment

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by JaniDJ, Apr 13, 2017.

?

Minigame-Server handling?

1. one Round per Server

2. multiple Rounds per Server

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hey Folks,

how's it going? While I work on my server it happens here and there that I ask myself: How should I program Minigames. The Question is quite simple should I use one Server for each Minigame"-Round" or should I use one Server to handle for example 5 different Rounds of one Minigame (arena style)? I thought that big servers like Hive, Mineplex or Hypixel are using one server per round, but isn't this ram intensive? I mean isn't it the spigot server that needs ram, too? Maybe you guys could help me or maybe there is a thing like lightSpigot that I didn't know about.

Thanks in advance!
    Jani

#1 JaniDJ, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. I would personally seperate every game or round to different Spigot servers. Don't host multiple games on a single Spigot server, that'll will leave you with alot more programming challanges. For a survival games game for example, a Spigot server with 1GB of ram should do nicely.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Doing one round per server lifecycle simplifies the game development a ton (you don't have to worry about memory leaks or any post-game cleanup). The overhead would be around 20s for the startup time (though this can obviously be reduced with optimizations), anyway on a 5 minute game this is only 7% overhead. For us this 7% cost gain is not worth it.

Our games also update when they get recreated (if a new version is available), so making them run indefinitely would require some update logic within the server to make sure no players are on it when updating.

If you need more information, feel free to contact me, I'll give you my skype in pm (I'm quite experienced on minigame network infrastructure).

• Winner Winner x 2