Minigames and the Community

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by xSinclare, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Hey, guys! This is a question directed towards minigame networks with a large player base (300-500 or more I would say in this case). How do you happen to keep a community hyped with new minigame releases and such? All networks have those select number of minigames that have been around since the launch of the network or even newer ones that have been asked about for ages. But in this case, we have another select number of minigames that don't have that much popularity as it did in the first few months of the minigame being released.

What do you guys do to make it work? In this case, I'm not necessarily the owner of the server, but I am an administrator and I feel I am an influential part of how the community and staff team functions. I see some great minigames not exactly getting the love that I feel it deserves after being in the community for a few years now. So what do you suggest? How do you keep players tied into most of or all of your minigames? What do you do when you see a minigame not working so well versus others over a certain period of time? These are things I think about and what to help do something about this to make this community the best it can be. So again I'm directing this towards server owners and/or managers that have a large player base. I would really appreciate comments from you all. As always have a great day!

2. I've worked with a minigame community before and we sometimes came across the same problems. You have to understand 2 things:

1. There are minigames that work well, and others that don't (obviously). You have to keep track which minigame is a big hit and which one players don't enjoy playing as much. With this, every 2 months for example you can keep the minigames that work well and replace the ones that aren't as popular with new minigames and see if the community likes that. In the end, you'll end up with a lot of minigames everyone love playing.

2. Minigame popularity changes over time. I think this is what is happening with your community, just like a survival gameplay, it can get boring when you've done everything there is to do, when you're so advanced in the game that you can't find anything new to do. The same thing happens to minigames: people already know all the strategies, the kits, the gameplay etc. They have already done everything and it gets boring.
    A good way to overcome this is to change all the variables in the minigame: kits, maps, points, rewards etc. So it feels new to the players and they have fun playing again. I've noticed that a change of maps is a big one and gets players excited to play.
    Sometimes it's the minigame itself that gets boring since its been around for too long (survival games, skywars for example), in this case you go to my first point and replace minigames.

I hope some of what I wrote helped you in some way, the community can be very strange at times when it comes to minigames, but you just have to work with it, not against it. If all else fails, just directly ask your community what they want :p

3. Thank you for the response. In this past month, our Survival Games and Skywars minigames got a pretty big revamp. The first one since the release of the server in October 2013. We added on TeamSG. However, Survival Games and Team Skywars have always been popular. We have added a few new minigames in the past 6 months and they have been doing strongly I must say. But with some of the minigames we have released last year and even before that (like some of our Arcade minigames) they haven't been doing so well.

In my opinion, I think some of these minigames should go and the owners can keep pumping out new minigame content like they have been doing the past few month. Some minigames I think should be revamped (like UHC into SpeedUHC or something). The OG minigames have been doing strong, but some of these minigames released late 2015 and throughout 2015 need to go and/or need to be revamped. I can see some being revamped in my eyes and some just leaving the server. How would you recommend I go about doing that? And I would love to hear more responses from some of you larger server owners as well!