Misinformation

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by joehot200, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joehot200

Supporter

I'm getting concerned with the misinformation in many of the help threads.

The problem is that new members who are inexperienced are joining, and are then attempting to advise other new members. The problem is, the information they are giving is often incorrect and misleading.

Take this thread as an example. @SystemUpdate_ implied that simply updating his plugins and his server would solve the issue, when in fact it would do absolutely nothing (and could actually hurt his server if he is on Spigot 1.7.6 or below).

The point I'm trying to make, is that some of the newer members are giving even newer members incorrect advice. At first, it was only a couple of times, and it soon got corrected. But when I'm seeing threads flooded with posts that are unhelpful, not related to the OPs issue, or completely incorrect, I feel something should be done.

I would also like to point out that forcing new members to make 30 posts before posting a premium resource may be encouraging this behaviour.

Should action be taken here - And if so, what actions should we take?

#1 joehot200, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. joehot200

Supporter

By the way, if anyone wants me to dig up more posts with misinformation, I'd be more than happy to. There are absolutely tons of them in my recent alerts.

3. New members should have 100 posts before they can post on forums.

And afaik nobody cares about old builds, sry but that just how it is. If you don't like it... well, update. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. joehot200

Supporter

This seems a bit extreme - And that's the problem. 100 posts is a lot, just to be able to give people the ability to help others.

Perhaps we should have some sort of upvote/downvote system if an answer was helpful or not. Unfortunately, this starts to get quite open to abuse.

Yes - But that isn't the point of this thread. The point I'm trying to make is that when people are saying things that, at best, are useless, and at worst, actually harm servers, something should be done about it.

5. Agreed, they should ban offenders. Add something like iTrader and ban abusers. Problem solved.

And if that somehow still would fix it... they should add option for uploading your drivers licence/ID and check/confirm each account by hand - that way banned users wont be able to create new accouts.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. maldahleh

Wiki Team

There is an add on for XenForo which supports best answer selection, though I don't think it has upvote/downvote integration. Though it has a bunch of features, like sorting threads in the forum (ex. Spigot Help) that use it by unanswered/answered, adding promotion criteria based on how many best answers a user has, etc.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/mark-posts-as-best-answer.2107/

EDIT: Actually looks like it does have vote integration.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. saphiria

Artist

What I don't understand is why you said @SystemUpdate_ was a new person, when we joined in 2013.

8. I agree there is a lot of Misinformation something like what @maldahleh said would be a nice touch.

However, there is currently the rating system, thing is the disagree rating was remove.

9. (Off-Topic: I got an alert for Saphiria tagging me, but not joehot200)

For what information was provided in this original post, It looked like he just needed to update he plugins, and he later told us that he was running a bungee cord setup, information which wasn't provided at first. I simply pointed out a suggestion, one of may have been incorrect but he said his server, not network, or bungeecord, or lilypad, or network of servers, or servers with an s but server as in a single one. Which led me to believe he was running on outdated software. If he had said servers or bungeecord servers then I would have pointed him to check his configs that ip-forwarding is enabled and that bungee is set to true. I later found out that we was running bungee cord and suggested the fix.

Yeah, because when someone got angry at someone else they'd waste there time going to each and every post rating it disagree.

10. saphiria

Artist

But am I correct that you are not new? If thats the case then the problem isn't just new people.

11. I never said it was a bad idea, however an implication of this is people no longer can see clearly if its a reputable/correct idea or now, also isn't agree/disagree sort of the same thing as upvoting and downvoting hence there may be the same issue?

12. You're correct. I joined in 2013.
    Yep, someone will just downvote every other post by that user.

13. I give people information that won't help them sometimes (accidentally of course but nonetheless), it's human nature.

I believe this is more people who are constantly giving wrong info, which are usually new people.

Another point I should make here is, getting things wrong is a good way to learn so by politely correcting someone and telling the OP the correct answer your helping everyone.

14. saphiria

Artist

I wasn't trying to be rude. It was just that I didn't want to correct the OP unless I knew otherwise.

15. I did what you stated in your first sentence..

16. That's what I'm saying, everyone makes mistakes and you learn from your mistakes by others helping you.

17. All you have to do is remove new members permission to reply to any topics besides their own, In the developer an help section.

Then regardless what the required posts are for uploading premium plugins, The development an help section won't be spammed.

18. That just encourages post farming. Or creating lots threads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 100 posts isnt alot especially if you actually post meaningful or small little advice posts on resources, such as I... my friend says I'm somehow breaking a rule by posting so often on threads but hey i reached the minimum posts XD..

20. Or let's bring back the "disagree" rating, maybe at least "wrong".

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.