Most popular version

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Escape, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Hey,

Does anyone know the most popular minecraft version currently?

Regards,
    Escape

2. I would say that 1.12.2 is most popular because on the servers I play on a lot of people play on that version, however, I have seen servers on 1.8 that has a lot of people too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheJavaHacker

Supporter

1.7.10 is popular for HCF.
    1.8 is popular for most games, including Factions, Prison and UHC to name a few.
    Latest is popular for non "hardcore" pvp players.

4. I think @2008Choco said in a different thread that 52% of the players are 1.12. I assume that most of whats left is 1.8.

5. TheJavaHacker

Supporter

That can't be accurate as that figure only appears to be generated in the amount of servers with their verbose feedback mode enabled or just straight up based on downloads of the spigot version. Just because someone downloads something doesn't mean it'll get used.

Steam libraries are a perfect example. Just because I buy and download a game doesn't mean I'll play on it.

6. imgi.PNG

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. TheJavaHacker

Supporter

8. Probably the bStats thing, when it scapes plugins used and plugin versions. it probably grabs what server version and type you're on.

9. According to my server stats, 1.12.2. I would recommend viaversion though as some people seem to still use 1.9, 1.10 and 1.11.

10. Keep in mind bStats is a very recent service, so only new (or updated) plugins are using it, and new (or updated) plugins are most likely to work with the newest MC versions, while not having compatibility with older MC versions, so the results are kinda skewed towards new MC versions.

What was probably one of the most reliable sources for server versions was MCStats, however MCStats is broken and 99% of the time doesn't work correctly, don't bother trying to load MCStats page in Wayback Machine, the "game version" graph is too old to be relevant. (the "july 2017" page shown that the most used version is 1.7.10, which is clearly not the case)

Another stats source could be server lists, some server lists has an "statistics" page where you can see statistics for the servers submitted there, here is the version stats in Minecraft-MP

[​IMG]

However this can also be skewed a bit since you don't know if those servers are actually 1.12.2 or if they are only "1.8.8 with ViaVersion", so bStats is kinda more reliable in this aspect since it reports the server version.

Enough blabbering about useless stuff, the most popular version (or at least the "most used version") is always the latest, there was some cases where the most used version wasn't the most used version (1.7.10 -> 1.8, the most used version was 1.7.10 for a looooong time) and 1.8.8 -> 1.9, while 1.8.8 -> 1.9 was a HUGE update, 1.9 -> 1.10 -> 1.11 -> 1.12 wasn't that big of an deal, causing servers that are post-1.8 to be more likely to update to newer MC versions.

tl;dr: 1.12.2

EDIT: This is my 1000th post and I didn't even notice until after I posted it :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. That is the very reason my picture is not bstats. Bstats said it's monitoring around 50k servers, the website I used, minecraft-statistic.net said it's monitoring around 152k
    I have no clue