Multiple IPs on Same Machine

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by sobrien1195, May 22, 2016.

1. Hi Spigot,

I wouldnt consider myself a Systems Administrator by any means. But I'm a server owner venturing into the world of dedicated machines and its been quite overwhelming. I purchased the MC-32 from OVH.

I'm looking to run two separate Minecraft servers off of the same machine. Different IPs, no bungeecord or anything. Two completely separate servers. I've purchased a second IP from OVH and its listed as a failover IP. I'm not sure if this is what I will need.

After watching a number of setup videos I'm confident I can setup my current server on the dedicated machine. But how do I launch a second one totally separately?

2. Change bind ip in server.properties. Make sure you bind each instance to a separate ip.

3. So setup my server folder on the machine twice and assign each folder to a different IP in the server.properties file?

4. Yes, or you could do it by port.

Code (serverproperties (Unknown Language)):

generator-settings=
    op-permission-level=4
    allow-nether=true
    resource-pack-hash=
    level-name=world
    enable-query=false
    allow-flight=false
    announce-player-achievements=true

#change port here:
    server-port=25565

max-world-size=29999984
    level-type=DEFAULT
    enable-rcon=false
    level-seed=
    force-gamemode=false

#put your 2nd ip here
    server-ip=

network-compression-threshold=256
    max-build-height=256
    spawn-npcs=true
    white-list=false
    spawn-animals=true
    snooper-enabled=true
    online-mode=true
    resource-pack=
    pvp=true
    difficulty=1
    enable-command-block=false
    gamemode=0
    player-idle-timeout=0
    max-players=20
    max-tick-time=60000
    spawn-monsters=true
    generate-structures=true
    view-distance=10
    motd=A Minecraft Server

#4 ChrisChatter, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  5. electronicboy

IRC Staff

You will need to configure the IP address on the server. OVH have articles on their site to setting up their failover IPs.

6. Here is the link too it http://help.ovh.com/IpFailover

7. Thank you both so much. Much appreciated.

8. If I'm following the OVH guide correctly, I'm going too need two nsxxx servers from OVH to do this with completely separate IPs?

Or can I simply just change the bind.ip to my failover IP and be done no configuration nessecary?

My reason behind not wanting to go the port route is advertisement purposes. I've already posted on a few server lists and I don't want to be unable to post my second server too.

9. electronicboy

IRC Staff

10. Gotcha. Do I do infact need two services like the guide suggests in the prerequisites? Or am I not understanding it correctly. I apologize if this is a stupid question.

11. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Just read the guide, nowhere does it say that you need 2 different servers, All you need is a single server and to get failover IPs.

12. The guide can help but make sure you set it up in the config correctly