Multiple servers on a multi-core CPU

Discussion in 'BungeeCord Discussion' started by franga2000, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Hi, I have a server with an Intel Core 2 duo processor. It's only 2,3 GHz but it is dual-core. I was wondering, if it would better to make 2 server on the same machine connected with BungeeCord rather then having a signle server with multiple worlds (a lot of them).
    Aditional info:
    CPU: Intel Core 2-DUO 2,4GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS A5-KPL
    RAM: 4GB
    Plugins (on the current server): Buycraft, NBTEditor, SimpleBlood, mcore, EasyJetpack, Vault, RemoteToolkitPlugin, dynmap, ServerHub, DisguiseCraft, SurvivalGames, SpaceBukkit, Votifier, GAListener, Lift, Citizens, DigitalClock, SimpleVoteListener, WorldEdit, NoCheatPlus, BattleTracker, CustomPotions, Simple-AutoSave, PlayerHeads, PermissionsEx, CombatTag, WorldGuard, PvPTitles, InfoCommand, Essentials, MCPainter, ServerSigns, PlotMe, DynmapPlotMe, ChestShop, EssentialsChat, WGCustomFlags, EssentialsProtect, EssentialsSpawn, EssentialsKitEdit, Multiverse-Core, AuthMe, WGRegionEffects, Multiverse-Inventories, Multiverse-NetherPortals, Paintball, LimitedCreative, Factions, Statistics, Multiverse-Portals, BattleArena

I was planning to divide the server like so:
    server 1: Spawn, factions survival, creative plots, parkour and other misc stuff
    server 2: Hunger games, spleef, pvp, TNTRun, Paintball

#1 franga2000, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. You need to provide more information like ram, how many plugins you're going to have.

If you have 2 servers, it will probably lag less as you're splitting it between the core, but the running it on a one core with multiple core will lag more since minecraft is not multithreaded.

3. Bungee with 2 server is no problem (3, 4, 5, 6, ... may be not) and the solution of choice, running 1 server with multiple world will only use one core and lead to inefficiency.

4. That's what I just said :p well kinda what I said.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yeah, I forgot to add more details. Also, the server has DynMap. Is it possible to link the maps from both server together? It's not really necesary but it would be cool :p

6. what is your connection speed to the internet, and how many players are you expecting to host on this machine?

7. Anyway,

You can run Bungee, server1, and server2 with that processor and 4G of RAM.

But don't expect to support a lot of players.

8. Well your using a normal PC. You can overclock the CPU and push a bit more players. I overclocked that cpu to 3.0 Ghz stock cooler.

9. Hey if you need a hand get in contact :)

10. Too many things. Your C2D isn't going to run much. It'll handle a basic server or two. Don't be too ambitious or you'll end up not doing anything well.