MySQL "MaxConnections" Question

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Altitude, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Many Spigot plugins include a setting related to MySQL in their configs called "MaxConnections". VotingPlugin's default value for this setting is "1", while LuckPerms's default value is "10". As far as I am aware, LuckPerms's wiki is the only one to explain how to use this setting, and it only says:
    (https://github.com/lucko/LuckPerms/wiki/Storage-system-errors)

So, how do I know what I should be setting all of these to? How do I know how many connections a plugin is using and how many it optimally needs?

2. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Really boils down to attaching a profiler and seeing how much they're using the connection, for some plugins a lower connection might be ideal, other plugins which use connections more might benefit from a higher value, or have no real side-effects of a lower connection limit and having to wait a moment to get a connection they can use when they do have a bit of a connection burst

3. You won't really notice a difference if you increase the max connections in VotingPlugin. At most a few seconds faster, but not enough that I think it's worth it.

4. Are there any drawbacks to it, though? Seems like it'd be worth it if it's faster and has no downsides.

5. You use more connections. That is about it. Some people have a connection limit.