Nametag longer than 16 characters?

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by Moderance, Jun 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So usually if you set someonesnametag and it is longer than 16 characters they will be kicked from the game automatically, is there anyway to prevent this I've seen it done on other servers where people have extremely long names above their head and on the tab list - I know how to set the tablist/nametag above head I just need to know how to allow it to be longer than 16, thanks.

2. MiniDigger

Supporter

you can make them longer by applying scoreboard team prefixes and suffixes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah I am using the API, keep getting this: [​IMG]

4. Since you are exceeding the maximum nametag limit, this means your API is modifying the names of the players with scoreboards, there is no fix for this, as Vanilla Minecraft doesn't allow it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Well there's some sort of way around it, I've seen many servers have way more than 16 characters on some of their users.

6. @Moderance
    I always appreciate it when people don't consider reading all answers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I did read it, NametagEdit applies it using a scoreboard.

8. Serializator

Supporter

I thought it was also possible to directly change the name in the GameProfile with an infinite length because Minecraft itself doesn't check for it in the client. I can definitely be wrong tho.

9. MiniDigger

Supporter

mmh, isn't that how setDisplayName works?

10. Serializator

Supporter

I think that only changes the name used in chat messages e.t.c

11. Yes, but like @Serializator said, it modifies the chat name, not the name above the head. (like what NameTagEdit does)

12. @Serializator
    (From the PacketPlayOutPlayerInfo class):
    Code (Java):
    localGameProfile = new GameProfile(paramPacketDataSerializer.i(), paramPacketDataSerializer.c(16));
    It doesn't allow strings longer than 16.

13. As far as I know team prefixes and suffixes can be as long as you want if you set them using packets because the client doesn't check the length.

14. *Cough* Prefix | Name | Suffix | *cough* == 48 characters

• Like Like x 1
  15. I know you can set the TabList name to something else. But, I dunno how to do it above head without using the scoreboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.