Need advice for upgrading from 1.12.2 to 1.13.2

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Klawdek, Apr 30, 2019.

1. I am running a 1.12.2 server with many plugins and multiple worlds. It looks like upgrading is necessary as many plugins no longer support older versions due to the changes under the hood in minecraft. Also the upgrade might help bring players to my server. My server lost most of its players but a few dedicated players remain and it would be nice to keep my main world and the builds these players have done.

I have read that it is possible to convert a 1.12.2 world to 1.13.2. I have also heard that it leads to a lot of problems. So my first question is is it advisable to convert or would I be better off just generating all new worlds?

After I decide which way to go I need to figure out the logistics of how to go about doing it. Will I be able to keep plugin data like stuff in backpacks, town data for towns, chest protections etc?

I appreciate any advice as to what to do and how to go about doing it. It seems like it is going to be a major job and I am not the most experiences or knowledgeable server admin.

2. Hm i think backpacks are a problem because the item names changed alot if the plugin don't convert old item names to the new one
    for the world updating just download your map put it in the saves folder from your 1.13 minecraft select it click edit and use the optimize world option to convert the world
    but the simplest way to find out what is broken make a backup and test it and perhaps you can contact the developer of the plugin or google if sombody found a way to fix the problem

3. Thank you for the reply. I just fund out the backpacks plugin will automatically convert items to new format when run in new version it used to have a problem but the latest version is supposed to work. I have heard so many different things about converting a world. Using optimize world sounds like the easiest so far :)

4. To convert your 1.12 plugins, check if there are 1.13.2 versions. And clone your server and then just test it.

Get buildtools and build your own Spigot jar with --rev 1.13.2

Multiverse-core still works in 1.13.2 and 1.14, and you can convert your worlds and import them.

Run it once: --forceUpgrade when you start your spigot jar, so you force upgrade all your 1.12 chunks 1.13, so you don't have a laggy experience when the server is live.

Once you are converted, both plugins, data and worlds, then invite your members back.

Most convert stuff you can do offline, you can unload a world, convert it, move it back in and load it up again.

5. I could DL my server and set up a local one but how would I handle the plugins that use mySQL on my local server?

6. If you clone your server, this should then include all the data, yes. The same way you make a daily or even hourly backup of your server- which i hope you do.

7. Thank you for all your help. I just use filezilla to download the server and then HediSQL to backup mySQL. I do not have a mySQL server on my computer that is provided by the server host.

8. For small tests, I just change the plugins (on my test server on my PC) to use the host's MySQL server. It will probably work across the Internet. I change the table prefix settings in the configs so as not to interfere with the real data.

An alternative would be to install MySQL on your PC. (I did that, too.)