Need help identifying a good dedicated server...

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by Stormversion2, May 21, 2016.

1. Hello,

I've ran VPS' for quite a while and I feel the need to purchase a dedicated server now. The only issue is that I am not that computer techy if you get what I mean. I'm currently looking at a dedicated with:
    • 3.1 GHz / 3.4 GHz Turbo
    • 4 Cores / 4 Threads
    • 32GB DDR3
    • 240GB SSD
    Are those good specs to run several servers on when expecting at least 75+ players? Also, what's the difference between DDR3 & SSD? And the difference between GHz and GHz Turbo? Is turbo better?

2. Do not assume anything in this post to be 100% accurately representable of how it actually works, I've left out a lot of the nitty gritty details to hopefully make it as understandable as possible.
    Let's look at everything individually:

3.1 GHz:
    The base clock speed of this CPU (Central Processing Unit, or processor) is 3.1 gigahertz, as this number goes up the CPU can do more computations per second.
    The higher this property the better.

3.4 GHz turbo:
    Intel's new Core i5 and Core i7 processors have a feature called Turbo Boost which has the ability to dynamically scale up the clock speed of a CPU depending on the thermal headroom available. Without going into too much detail the CPU will attempt to run at this speed whenever possible, don't count on it, always assume the CPU to be running at base clock speed 100% of the time (in this case 3.1 GHz).
    This property is click-bait, ignore it.

4 Cores / 4 Threads:
    A computer has tens, if not hundreds, of programs running in the background, but it can only run one at a time. It switches between these at such a speed that it is unnoticable under normal conditions, but a computer gives every program a fraction of a second to do their thing after which it moves on to the next program.
    In stead of only being able to run one program at a time 4 core CPUs can run 4 at a time, there will still be a lot of switching, as 4 still doesn't come close to 100, but it is already a massive performance gain.
    Minecraft is a single threaded program and any core over 2 is almost useless.

32 GB DDR3:
    A computer has 3 types of memory, cache (super fast and super small), memory (decently sized, but a lot slower than the cache), and the hard drive (incredibly large, but so slow you don't want to rely on it during run time). Due to the small size of the cache most of a program's data will be in memory (also known as RAM). DDR3 is a type of RAM, but it doesn't tell us anything, there are still multiple types of DDR3 memory (DDR3-1333, DDR3-1600, DDR3-1800, and it goes on). If they don't list the type of DDR3 it is safe to assume it to be one of the slower variants, which is not necessarily all that bad. Don't fuss over DDR4 memory, currently higher-end DDR3 memory performs better than most DDR4 types. Depending on how many servers you want to run you could probably get away with 16 GB.
    Anything over 16 GB is good enough.

240 GB SSD:
    As stated in the DDR3 section the slowest type of storage a computer has is the hard drive. There are 2 types; HDDs (Hard Disk Drive) and SSDs (Solid State Drive). For the same price an HDD will be able to hold exponentially more data than an SSD, but the SSD will be able to retrieve and store data exponentially faster than the HDD. For shear storage capacity: choose an HDD. For run time performance: choose an SSD. As minecraft uses the hard drive non stope for chunk loading and saving an SSD is great for minecraft servers.
    Any SSD over 120 GB is good enough.

============================================================

The main property to look at is the base clock speed of the CPU, it is the only value that keeps improving the performance of your minecraft server as the number goes up. Any number of cores/threads over 2 is almost negligible, and as long as you have sufficient storage space everything over the required threshold is dormant.

If the quote for the system you are looking at exceeds 79$/month I would recommend looking into the OVH MC-32 dedicated server for the sole reason that the specs to price ratio is an incredibly bang for your buck. Be warned though, OVH support is 0%, you will be on your own. If it doesn't exceed 79$/month than I would stick with the one you are currently looking at and see how it goes with 75 people, it might be more than enough. Can always switch later.

3. Get KS-4B's. I have 6 of them. 5 for Factions instances which all peak at about 350 -370 players and one for a hub.

4. Try nfo servers

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lol

6. How does the bungee work then? Since someone could enter with their own bungee. Or are they not connected?

7. @ChrisChatter setup iptables to only allow connections to your backend servers made from the bungeecord IP.

8. Not true.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Completely true.

Aside from chat and a few networking things that really do not matter to your server load, minecraft is entirely single-threaded.
    The only reason to use more cores would be with plugins like AsyncWorldEdit or async generators, and even those work fine on single-core cpus (they will not freeze the main thread while they work).

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. More cores would also be useful if you're running multiple Minecraft instances on one machine.

11. IPTables only allow connections from the dedi the Bungee instance is on, and they're all link with SSH2 so you can only send commands or FTP from the master server. No public, or private Bungee exploits that I've tested on it work.