Nether Stops working till a Restart

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by MrJoelieC, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Hey there,

Long-time lurker just joined cause after searching google for 4 days straight I cannot find an answer...

I have a pretty vanilla server that I host for my Kids... I User a Windows server that has a virtual Win 7 instance on it... I have a virtualized 4 core processor and 6 gig of memory... Been using this set up for years and it's actually been a pretty happy server with the Kids and their mutual friends sometimes making cool stuff together and teaming up to defeat the END and then sometimes they randomly ask: Please reset the server to start all over from scratch.. All was well

SO with the above specs, I'm running the current 1.14.4 Spigot build.

Mods - Well, I try to limit them..

Mod 1: I know people say don't do it but I have LaggRemoverPlus running... It seemed to help a lot at first...
    Mod 2: AboutUs v3.0 - This is so the friends know what my server is and if parents want to look into where their kids are going...
    Mod 3: MotdManager Reloaded. Displays Random message of the Day from a list This biggest hit that makes ll the kids laugh is "Wireless = Huge Lagg!" as the one kid who complains the most is always on wireless...
    Mod 4: this is the Big One: GriefPrevention v16.8 (there Might be a new one) This is a "must-have" mod for any parent with kids on a server. I got really sick and tired of "Dad! So and So Stole all my diamonds!" and then the same kid stole mine... Needless to say, I was pretty peeved and we didn't let that kid back on for a year... And man was he pissed when he found out about this Mod...

In the Early days, we had a Teamspeak server and I kinda wish I had recorded some of the gameplay in the early days... Now they use discord...

Anyway back to my issue:

A while back my son complained that the nether portals didn't do anything... they went nowhere...twirling portal... nothing...

Looks like I think 1.13 you have to have the World named World? so I renamed all the folders and.. Boom Nether is fixed... I went off to find some quartz to make my Redstone circuits...

but then a few hours later "Daaaaaaaad, Nether portals are broken again." Huh? check the server... all appears ok. Now telltales in the logs.. I do the typical windows fix... Turn the instance off and on again...

Five Minutes Later:

"Thanks, Dad! Portals are working again!" Cool, I go off and drink a beer...

1 Day Later:

I'm at work I get a call: "Hey Dad, You Know Justin, well we showed his cousin's best friend's sister our server, and she's sick today and she told Justin the Nether Portals aren't working again..."
    So when I go home I log on with my character and sure enough twirling nothing.. Double You Tea Effe!

Restart the server and Boom I can get into Nether... Again: Double You Tea Effe?

Ok, there must be a memory leak... But the server at this moment (Nether portals not working again.) is only using 1.7 gigs of the 4-gig allocated... Huh?

At first, I was using bukkitGUI wrapper to administer and do bans and be the voice of God if people started doing crap... As a test to see if this long not supported wrapper was to cause I switched to MCSS... When I migrated the server... all was well... for a few hours... the same issue again...

When 1.15 comes out we are probably gonna reset the maps anyway but I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered this is and might have a simple solution?

anyway.... Thanks for reading and thank in advance for any advice..

Cheers!

MrJoelieC
    Part-Time: Parental Minecraft Server Admin

2. That sounds like a rather weird issue to me, I personally haven't experienced any sort of issue like this before.
    The way Spigot handles the nether, etc. is by splitting them up into seperate directories. The name of the world shouldn't matter, as long as the folders are all correctly named (world, world_nether, world_the_end).

You could setup a testing instance to check if the same error occurs on there aswell.