1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Solved New 1.6 zombies lag hard

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by Nikecow, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Hello everyone,

This is not a question about why I lag but rather a heads up. I noticed massive lag in 1.6 by entities. I was surprised because at the end of 1.5.2 I had no issues. I checked the timings report and I always saw zombies on number one. I thought I had too many so I severely limited monsters and spawners. This helped slightly but I still get massive spikes every now and then.

Turns out the new zombie AI calls a new path finding call but when they are stuck it loops or whatever so it lags hard. Perhaps Spigot can add a temporarily fix for this until Mojang fixes it which may take a long while.

Spike: http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5882102
    Long report: http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5882155

2. PhanaticD

Patron

3. Bestle

Patron

4. PhanaticD

Patron

damn skygrid and mob spawners

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CCT

CCT
    Supporter

why don't you just disable zombies?

6. How can I disable zombies specifically?

7. PhanaticD

Patron

why not just disable minecraft :I

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. CCT

CCT
    Supporter

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Got sort of the same on my timings it's not really causing lag but surely a thing to take a look at.

http://aikar.co/timings.php?url=5882653

And disabling zombie's would not be the ideal solution..

10. Puremin0rez

Not 100% sure but reducing the tracking range of hostiles might reduce the range at which they track you so you don't have zombies from across the map trying to pathfind towards you.

I agree though, something does need to be done about this.

11. Hello there.
    I've noticed that if you have a large group of zombies running after you, everything is ok.
    But as soon as you jump up on something where they can't reach you, the server TPS plummet to 9 and below.
    I tested this with and without plugins. With CB and Spigot. 1.5.2 and 1.6 releases.
    I can't recall it was like this 8 months ago when we ran a Zombie Apocalypse server.

This is only from my own observations though. I have not done any serious testing to what it could be.

12. joehot200

Supporter

Code a plugin that makes some unused mob (Like a snowman) look like a zombie to the player, then get the snowman to shoot arrows at the player :p

Obviously you would need to work with packets there.

Im sure your players will all be confused!

13. Yes thats the whole point. Once they can't reach you they go berserk ;)

14. Puremin0rez

Had this happen pretty bad to me today.

7 TPS with EntityZombie destroying the server. Ran a butcher and everything was good again.

15. Exact same problem and exact same solution this is getting worse.

16. joehot200

Supporter

md_5, could you half the ticks on EntityZombie (10 TPS for zombies) and then make them move double the speed after the missed tick?
    Maybe a spigot.yml option ;)

17. Dmck2b

Services Staff

Might someone be able to use a plugin that pulls off this API to cool down the zombies a bit?

18. PhanaticD

Patron

i hope spigot doesnt turn into bukkit where obvious lag problems are ignored :/

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. md_5

Administrator Developer

Maybe you should try looking at the mob AI code yourself before making such a statement. This isn't even in the bug report forum, so why should it be investigated as a bug?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. PhanaticD

Patron

Did i hit a nerve? i am not a developer, i just own and run a server that relies on spigot

• Friendly Friendly x 1