New developer offering free plugins

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by NEEMAN123, May 28, 2018.

1. Hi, I have recently started developing and I am offering free plugins.
    I can do small plugins such as
    /Fly
    /Eat
    /Help
    /Discord
    /Website etc

I can also do other more complex stuff like
    GUI plugins
    and random stuff such as
    If a player breaks stone something will happen, but if they break obsidian something else will happen. Maybe is heals them for 2hp per?

Feel free to request a plugin and i'll see if I can do it.
    Contact me on discord as I won't be checking this post much.
    Discord name > JavaManDan#7174

#1 NEEMAN123, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

The thought is great however what you can provide at your skill level is highly available as free resources on here already. Whatever you can provide will also be inefficient and isn’t something you should offer even if it is for free.

Not being hostile just offering my advice. Use it as you wish :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Not meant to be salty, but those commands are pretty useless. I understand your excitement as a new developer (because you're learning to code and can make commands already), but it's always better to keep practicing till you are up to create something advanced.

But it's always good to make a start on the low floor. You'll eventually learn from errors, learn more about Java, and step on a higher floor every time.

But anyways, good luck with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I'd say they're far from useless, they are simple but not useless.
    The reason i'm offering simple stuff for free is because it will also help me become more advanced.
    I've had many people message me on discord, and have created small thing for them and they were happy with them.
    This also helped me learn more.

5. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

They are widely available for free on Spigot already.

How would making simple stuff make you become more advanced?
    If you just make simple stuff you won't improve beyond the required skills for doing that. You have to challenge yourself with increasingly more challenging projects to improve and become more advanced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hence why i'm offering free plugins, they request a plugin and I see if I can make it.
    I'd say that helps me a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Some may see the commands as useless. But, i do not. The commands are there for the communities use, it can direct them to places they need to go and just inform the community to keep them in the loop. I agree on the low part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Strahan

Benefactor

You really should make projects for yourself first until you learn the basics. You shouldn't be creating things for others until you are no longer making noob mistakes. I mean, I'm no expert either but I picked one of your plugins at random (the website one) and checked the code and there are several issues.

Code (Text):
    package me.nee.website;

import java.util.logging.Logger;
    import net.md_5.bungee.api.ChatColor;
    import org.bukkit.Bukkit;
    import org.bukkit.command.Command;
    import org.bukkit.command.CommandSender;
    import org.bukkit.configuration.file.FileConfiguration;
    import org.bukkit.configuration.file.FileConfigurationOptions;
    import org.bukkit.entity.Player;
    import org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin;

public class main
    extends JavaPlugin {
        public void onEnable() {
            this.getConfig().options().copyDefaults(true);
            this.saveConfig();
            Bukkit.getServer().getLogger().info("Website Enabled");
        }

public void onDisable() {
            Bukkit.getServer().getLogger().info("Website Disabled");
        }

public boolean onCommand(CommandSender sender, Command cmd, String commandLabel, String[] args) {
            if (cmd.getName().equalsIgnoreCase("website")) {
                Player p = (Player)sender;
                p.sendMessage((Object)ChatColor.RED + "[" + (Object)ChatColor.AQUA + this.getConfig().getString("prefix") + (Object)ChatColor.RED + "] " + (Object)ChatColor.GREEN + this.getConfig().getString("website"));
                return true;
            }
            return false;
        }
    }
    1. There is no need to send enable/disable messages. Spigot already does that so you are just cluttering the log
    2. You only have one command - there is no need to check cmd.getName() when you only have but a single command
    3. Why are you casting sender to player? Granted, there isn't much call for this feature from console as I would hope the only people with console access are people who obviously know the website, but I personally dislike needless restriction of commands to players when it makes not a lick of difference either way.
    4. In regards to the aforementioned casting, you aren't checking if it is a Player before doing so
    5. Instead of embedding the colors like you are doing, which forces the server admin to your aesthetic choices, just let the admin enter the full string in the config then translate.
    6. You are neither checking for null returns in your config calls nor passing it a default value. You should do one or the other; the way you are doing it can cause the plugin to shit itself if the admin messes up the config.
    7. You should really break your stuff out into their own classes (i.e. commands in their own class, events in theirs, etc)
    Those are very basic mistakes, and not to be mean if you are making that level of error you aren't ready to be making production plugins for peoples' servers yet. Give yourself more projects. I like to keep an eye on the plugin dev section of the forum and when I see interesting problems posed, I see if I can figure it out on my own server with my test plugins. It's a good way to learn.

Actually, I just realized that website one is two years old. I downloaded and examined your latest. Thankfully, I don't have to change my post as you still have basically all the same issues I pointed out above heh.

#9 Strahan, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Lol he’s also casting each ChatColor enum to an Object

10. Strahan

Benefactor

I noticed that, but figured it may be a decompiler "artifact" and not a part of the code as it'd be so weird to do heh.

11. Correct.
    The guy above "Plochem" went from a nice helpful reply to whatever that was. An insult maybe?
    Nobody starts developing professionally overnight pal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hey, boys. Keep calm. Everbody should do what he want. Strahan.. your post was very useful! Now it‘s on NEEMAN123 site what makes with those advices.

13. DavidDevelops

Supporter

You're right, No one does, Takes why developers take years to learn before offering crummy code, So id recommend learning more first, If you won't well to bad for us, Doesn't effect me, (Although if it was paid work it would)

14. I just put the link because this is the wrong section to look for recruiters

15. Strahan

Benefactor

I wasn't trying to be insulting, I was just pointing out the flaws you made (and apparently never learned to correct in two years). Of course nobody becomes a pro overnight; my point was when you are at a level where you are making those kinds of mistakes, you really shouldn't be offering plugins to servers that are in production. That's not insulting, that's just reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maximvdw

Benefactor

Server owners without programming knowledge have a very "unreal" perspective on the difficulty of a task. Just because someone offers "1 command plugins" doesn't mean the actions of those commands can't be difficult.

Let's say a server owner sees this thread and is like "I need a /website plugin with a link that you can hover"
    or
    "I need a /discord plugin that gives a link to the discord and then broadcasts a message ingame once that user has joined the discord channel"

17. Benz56

Moderator Supporter

+1. “Well, you can just do” or “just change this with that”. I hate those sentences. If you don’t have any programming knowledge then don’t make assumptions that you can just do something. Changing something is almost always more complicated than you think if you don’t know what you are talking about.

As for the other part with simple commands. Sure, new programmers can most often do stuff like that but surely it can be done in a better way if you don’t fully understand what you are actually doing. I am not telling him not to; I just advised him to improve and then offer his services;)

18. Maximvdw

Benefactor

well, he does it for free - so why not? I think a lot of people would be grateful for simple things like this - even if it's written in Skript