New server help

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by itsAldri, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Hello everyone!
    I'm new to this whole forum thing and to this site. My friends and I thought about starting a mc server seemed simple at first I was just going to run it from home but after reading some other posts I feel like I'm doing everything wrong lol...does anyone have some starter tips of must do's that I need to look at and do in order to start one up!?

2. Hey!
    Starting a server at home is much more complicated than a paid host, but i'll try to help you out.
    Here's the official guide, but if that's not your thing i'll also write you a step-by-step as well.
    I'm assuming you use windows, if not i'm extremely sorry.
    First, create a folder for your server, you can name it anything and place it anywhere. Inside the folder you must put in the spigot server .jar for whatever version you'd like. To get the jar, you can follow the steps from BuildTools here.
    Once you have the downloaded file, right click it and rename the jar file to "spigot".
    Once you have the jar, put it in the folder you earlier created. Next we have to create a script to run the .jar, because double clicking on the jar simply won't work. To do this, right click in the same folder, scroll down to "New" and select "Text Document". The name doesn't matter for now, so choose anything.
    Once you have selected the name, double click the file to open it in Notepad, and paste this code into the document:
    Code (Text):
    @echo off
    java -Xms1G -Xmx1G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar spigot.jar
    pause
    The -Xms1G and -Xmx1G in the code is the amount of memory you want to dedicate to your server. 1G (gigabyte) is a decent amount for a little server just for friends, but feel free to change it in the code if you'd like.
    Once you've pasted the code and customized it to your liking, press file on the top right of Notepad and click "save as". At the bottom of the file where it says "Save as type", click on the bar next to it and change it to "All files" (it will not work if not). Then for the "File name" you can select any name, but i recognize a name like "run" or "start". But just remember to add ".bat" to your file name, or the code won't work. So for example, if you wanted the file name to be "run", you would type in "run.bat".
    Once it is saved, you can close notepad and return to the folder that contains your spigot.jar and new .bat file. Now double click the newly saved file to run the .bat file. A black window will pop up and files for your server will start to generate. Since this is your first run of the file, the server will quickly start running, because you must accept the Minecraft EULA. To do this, find the new "eula" file in your folder, double click to open it in notepad, and change where it says "false" to "true".
    Now run your .bat file again. This time the server will be successfully running! You can connect to your server by typing "localhost" under "direct connect" in your minecraft multiplayer menu. Unfortunately, chances are your friends will not be able to connect yet. This part is a bit trickier. Usually your system firewall isn't an issue, but if for some reason your friends can't connect at the end of this tutorial, then watch this video to learn how to fix your firewall.
    The harder part is port forwarding if you haven't done it before, but here is also a very nice video that will help you.
    Your first server is always the hardest, but you'll get the hang of it. Follow these steps and videos and see how it works out. Feel free to ask any questions if you get stuck. :)

#2 Biscut, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2018
  3. Well...haha I shouldve explained a little more...thank you for that explanation though but....I have all that done me and my friends are in the world and are making "games" to play...i guess in the future i want to support many people. So I guess idk what I'm asking for but just maybe how to get to be able to support that many??
    Thanks

4. Hey, you can support more people by raising the amount of memory on your server, by changing the -Xms1G and -Xmx1G in the code to a higher memory count like -Xms2G and -Xmx2G.
    So if you wanted your server to have 2G's of memory (obviously double of 1G) the code would look like this:
    Code (Text):
    @echo off
    java -Xms2G -Xmx2G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar spigot.jar
    pause
    Just remember, this uses your computer's memory, so raising it too high will slow down your computer.
    This would work if you want to use the server for a large group of friends but I don't recommend turning this into a public server, because there will always be people that will do bad things with your IP. If you really want to make games and make your server public I would really recommend getting a paid host, to protect your IP and not have to worry about keeping it running/slowing down your computer. It's your choice.

5. 1. What operating system do you use and is it 32 or 64 bit?
    2. How much RAM does your PC have?
    3. What is your Internet speed, both upload and download?

6. don't buy mcprohosting tip number 1 ;p

• Agree Agree x 1