New Standard for Config Hex

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by DMEpepperoni, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:57 PM.

?

What should be the standard?

1. &#FFFFFF

50.0%
  2. <#FFFFFF>

50.0%
  1. Can we all just take a moment to agree and clarify that &#FFFFFF is the new standard for hex colours code in chat/config and whatever else

Feel free to suggest other options to add to the poll

#1 DMEpepperoni, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:57 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 10:08 PM
  2. Andre_601

Supporter

Debatable. Some out there say that & in general is a bad option for color codes and that we should look for a new standard.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. To be honest, I like <#FFFFFF> more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. While I already dislike using &, the compy signs are too much (I forgot their actual name :ROFLMAO:), mostly because of additional keys to hit and an additional character. Basically, not simple enough for me.

5. How about Minecraft finally properly supports putting § in chat and we all just use that and live a happy life?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. No matter what format people will use, &#FFFFFF or <#FFFFFF>, there's still at least 7 characters you will have to type so it might not work with formatting the signs manually.

7. Strahan

Benefactor

It'd be safer to stick to "normal" characters. (code)#FFFFFF seems logical to me. I'd say &#FFFFFF, but it really doesn't have to be &, it is whatever you pass to the translate function after all.

8. Andre_601

Supporter

<code>#FFFFFF would also require minor additional steps, as you have to also replace # with x or replace the entire code with ChatColor.of(code)
    Additionally, would we need to point out that this is NOT working with default ChatColor from org.bukkit as it is a BungeeCord API-only thing.

9. <code># seems to be the most user-friendly way right now, especially &# as it's quick to type out on your keyboard as well (keys are very close). I think it should be simple enough for any user to understand, type out easily and memorize, so as long as it meets those criteria then anything is good.

10. I think we can all agree that &x&F&F&5&5&F&F is disgusting, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. <#FFFFFF>
    <gradient:#FFFFFF:#000000>
    <rainbow>
    and stop using &

12. What syntax for the default colors, then?

13. Their actual hex colour? I'm talking pure 1.16+
    &a = <#55FF55>

14. In Minecraft’s /tellraw you can use the names of the colors in place of the hex codes, so instead of
    Code (Text):
    /tellraw @a {“text”:”hello”,”color”:”#55FF55”}
    you could do
    Code (Text):
    /tellraw @a {“text”:”hello”,”color”:”green”}
    so technically mappings (&a) to the color names (green) are 1.16+

15. Tux

Tux

16. Completely different. &a is the community, Mojang just convert "green" into the hex. It's just their shortcut.