New To VPS

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by MichaelSteffan, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Instead of making a vague thread, I know that I have made SEVERAL threads today but this is a serious thing.

Thinking about buying a VPS instead of using shared hosting. So, I'm wondering what are the perks and disadvantages of buying a VPS?

Also, if I buy one could I host my server and website on there.

2. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

The main advantage is simply having root access to the server so you can install whatever you want on it; Teamspeak server, web server, etc. Disadvantages? None, unless you want a host to manage the backend stuff for you so you don't have to worry about fixing things if something breaks, which, regardless, you can easily find a solution for any problem with Google... :)

3. Sweet! Now, I'm wondering where I should buy a VPS? I'm thinking OVH but which one should I use?
    http://www.ovh.com/us/vps/

4. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Do you plan to host Minecraft? If so I wouldn't recommend OVH Classic, at least get their Cloud VPS which run on better hardware and use better virtualization. Last I saw their classic are oversold OpenVZ that run on huge Opterons which are bad for MC.

5. I plan to run a website and Minecraft server.

Also, why do people buy dedicated machines?

6. Tux

Tux

I like RamNode, Vultr and DigitalOcean personally for VPSes.

People buy dedicated servers to have the hardware dedicated wholly to them. With a VPS, you share the resources with other customers, so there is potential for performance degradation through abuse, but this is often not an issue with well-known established hosts.

7. VPS is public
    Dedi is personal

8. Better price per performance ratio I guess.

9. I might be able to buy a VPS. I am unsure where it is cheap and good.

10. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Tux listed a few above, "cheap and good" generally doesn't work well together though.

11. I have a few questions

1) When I'm installing Spigot, do I need to install Multicraft?
    2) Is there some documentation when it comes to installing Spigot?
    3) Also, what is this CentOS and puTTy stuff?

12. Don't get a ovh class vps it's really bad. Recently today I got the $2.99 and the server lags with just 1 player on it which is me. Centos is a type of linux and Putty is a terminal emulator used to process commands etc. It's really easy to use once you get your feet wet with it.

Edit: After running for 14 minutes this reading is really good but it was only me on the server, and this is the first time I never experience lag on the server for such an elongated time. http://timings.aikar.co/?url=11813686 (Plugins: ClearLag, WorldEdit, LaggRemover, WorldGuard) probably because I recently got clearlag and laggremover still a bad vps. I recommend you getting a cloud vps that is if you're on a budget.

#12 sethrem, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  13. Right now, I have $20.