Solved Not putting permissions into plugin.yml

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by iMeduza, Oct 13, 2021.

1. This might be a silly question, but is setting permissions in the plugin.yml mandatory, or what happens, if permissions are not set there? I know that if you do not define commands there, they do not work, but permissions seem to work regardless. Is it just for the sake of defining them there, so you'd know yourself?

2. I think it comes either a default no permission message from the spigot or just really just so you don't forget.

3. You don't have to set any permissions in the plugin.yml file, you can handle them in the plugin yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. To be a little more specific...

No, it is not required to specify permissions in plugin.yml, but it does come with benefits (permissions registered in the plugin.yml will automatically be registered with Bukkit, thus allowing other plugins to "see" them, for example permissions plugins will be able to autocomplete those permissions). If you still want that same functionality without having to add the permission to the plugin.yml, or, for example, you are creating dynamic permissions during runtime, you can register them with Bukkit (see this).

#4 SizzleMcGrizzle, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thanks for these. This is what I was looking for. Much appreciated!