Odd Linebreaks

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by JesseMcCullough, May 28, 2017.

1. After experimenting with the AsyncPlayerChatEvent, an acquaintance and I noticed that when a color code is inserted before a message, the message receives some odd linebreaks. The two pictures below will do better justice as to what I'm talking about:

(Normal; no odd linebreaks)
    [​IMG]

(Unusual; odd linebreaks)
    [​IMG]

Notice the fourth "HowdoyoudoSIR" is broken up oddly with its "SIR" on the next line, while the "normal" picture breaks up the message correctly.

All I'm doing is inserting a color code before the message via
    Code (Text):
    AsyncPlayerChatEvent#setMessage(*thecolorcode* AsyncPlayerChatEvent#getMessage())

I have noticed that AsyncPlayerChatEvent#setFormat(String) handles the linebreaks correctly, but I don't think that method is going to be able to satisfy my needs. I merely want to set the color of a message, not mess around with message's format structure.

Suggestions for a fix would be awesome, especially in regards to whatever chat width is set in a player's Minecraft Chat Settings!

UPDATE #1:
    I found out the issue is actually the way I am handling the messages in my chat plugin. Basically, I'm taking the message from getMessage(), running it through a StringBuilder to handle a few miscellaneous tasks, then returning the message back to setMessage(). So the AsyncPlayerChatEvent#setMessage method is not the issue here.

Better question: What can I do to my messages in order for them to appear correctly without any odd linebreaks after running it through a StringBuilder?

#1 JesseMcCullough, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Try adding a Reset after colorcodes, I've had this issue with bold before, but I don't see such usage, still worth a try :3

3. To my knowledge, the issue lies with the client - if the first part of a new chat component reaches the end of the line, it will assume the length is too long to fit on a single line and wrap it. There's no real fix I know of aside from manually correcting it by sending multiple messages.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tell me about it!

I could try that. But I think the same results would be gathered from before. After all, the reset color code is merely an additional 2 characters. haha

I agree. Another solution to this problem would be to go through AsyncPlayerChatEvent#setFormat(), but I believe conflicts will arise with other chat plugins.

If I figure out a solution, I'll reply back with what worked for me; no sense in having another individual go through the same issue. First one to figure out a solution wins!