OMGSERV - My experience

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by inventor02, May 21, 2016.

1. I recently tried a server host called OMGSERV. I conclude that unless you purchase something like a VPS from them (even then, I would recommend OVH) they're services are not worth it. I tried the plan with 'Unlimited RAM'. Not only is this impossible, the algorithm that works out the amount of RAM is very ineffective. I had 24 players running 40 plugins, and the server could barely handle it, peaking at around 2GB of RAM - far from the unlimited amount they promised. A short review, I know, but I don't recommend them at all, and IMO, all server hosts are a rip off, and you are much better getting a VPS - in some cases it is cheaper and you can run multiple servers. Don't buy a server from this company.

2. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

"peaking at around 2GB of RAM"

How are you checking this? If Spigot doesn't need more RAM it won't "use" more RAM. What is your TPS?

Running Minecraft on a regular MC host is sometimes better than VPS. Usually Minecraft systems are under less overall load than a VPS system. Plus there's more hard limits in place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

I think the issue is the expectation that you have, not that "all server hosting are a ripoff". You're paying a few dollars per month for a managed solution, where with a VPS, it requires a ton of management.

There is obviously no such thing as unlimited RAM sticks, but you also can't expect to host a network paying under $10/mo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. They Say That The Cores Are Allocated Depending On Java's Algorithm

5. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

The OS automatically distributes load between cores.

6. For their VPS'S,
    I believe they use ovh. The server they host the vps's on are 256GB each.
    If you are planning on hosting a minecraft server on it like I was going to, then don't.
    A website.etc may be good though.

7. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

Can you please point us to where you obtained any info as such?

8. upload_2016-6-4_12-0-35.png

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. What Does That Explain?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. They Couldn't Be Using Them From OVH Since They Show Their Servers On Their Twitter And Youtube

11. RSNET-Radic

Supporter

12. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Clients that have left comments on their official Twitter resolve to Online.net IPs, but I do think that they also use OVH in France at least, I remember checking a few servers from their Twitter a few months back. So I'd guess a mix of OVH and Online.net.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Probably The VPS Sales Are Through The OVH Cloud (Possibly)
    But The Minecraft Is Through Their Own Cluster

14. MikeA

MikeA Retired Moderator
    Retired Benefactor

Cluster = Online.net dedicated servers (Unless they're using Online.net colo without their own IP ranges)

15. OVH offers collocation. (I know it's bumping, but I just wanted to add this)