Operating System Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by TrendNet, May 14, 2017.

1. Hello Spigot Community, I plan on getting a dedicated server soon. Although, I'm not too experienced with this kind of stuff. So I have a couple of choices for operating systems but I'm not sure which to get and what're the benefits of it vs. others.
    My choices are:
    (64-bit and 32-bit versions are available) CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and Windows Server 2012. Or, I can use my own operating system (eg. CloudLinux or Fedora).
    Thank you!

2. I have used both CentOS and Ubuntu on both VMs and Dedis. I recommend centos for a dedicated though as it will run much smother and you wont need all the added useless stuff in Ubuntu. It also performs better in unmanaged situations in my opinion. Also always go 64 bit where available!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. I personally prefer CentOS. Ubuntu is also a good option.

Some Linux distros have a bit more overhead than others but in most cases you won't notice it. At the end of the day it's more of a preference thing if you aren't looking to run something super advanced.

4. WAS

WAS

Will always be a Debian man. Ubuntu is just for users that aren't familiar with Linux. CentOS is a good alternative to RHEL.

5. Like others have stated, I would also suggest CentOS for your operating system. If you aren't that experienced with server based operating systems, I would suggest finding a cheap VPS, that will allow you to try different distributions of Linux to find the one that suites you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. debian 7/8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WAS

WAS

Alternatively, if your CPU supports it, throw on VirtualBox and check out some ready-to-use images.

8. Hmm, alright, thanks every. So what I'm getting from this is that in the end it's all just personal preference. Although most people recommend CentOS, Debian, or Ubuntu.

Yeah I had similar idea, thanks.

9. CentOS or Ubuntu

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ubuntu. Always used it and will always if I can choose myself.