Solved Optimal interval for syncing data between plugin and storage.

Discussion in 'Spigot Plugin Development' started by chmod_777, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Hi,
    I recently recoded my storage implementation to fetch a list of all entries and using that to do all getting and setting instead of doing logic straight from the storage. Because of this, I need to sync the data from my plugin to storage on a timer, but I'm not sure at what interval my 'syncEntries()' method should be called.

this is my doSync() method in my Main class:
    Code (Java):
        public void doSync(){
            Thread t = new Thread(() -> {
                while(Bukkit.getPluginManager().isPluginEnabled(this)){
                    try {
                        Thread.sleep(0x493E0);
                    } catch (InterruptedException e) {
                        e.printStackTrace();
                    } finally{
                        storage.syncEntries();
                    }
                }
            });
        }
    The hex value is set to 5 minutes in milliseconds. Should it be more frequent to be safe?

2. nvm, i'm just going to let the server admin decide that :)

3. This is useless, it will basically always returns true.
    Also, Thread.sleep isn't safe in a Bukkit spigot, it will freeze the whole server and plugins. Do not use Thread.sleep for safety reasons.
    Just some tips!

4. hes in a separate thread. everything hes done is fine.

@op i should suggest using bukkits thread pooling. you can run BukkitRunable#runTaskTimerAsync or whatever its called or just runAsyncTask with a while loop and pause the thread like you do now. this way, the program will properly shut down when plugins are disabled automatically for convenience.

/e actually runtaskasync and pausing the thread may have unintended side effects because of the pooling.

/e2 https://hub.spigotmc.org/javadocs/s...hronously-org.bukkit.plugin.Plugin-long-long-
    set the timer to 5 minutes in ticks.

• Agree Agree x 1