OS Advice

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by SlayerMarth, Jun 27, 2016.

1. So,

Finalizing the little odds and ends to my server before we plan to release it. A friend of mine gave me a server he used to have for the purpose of setting everything up, fixing issues, etc. Now that everythings pretty much done, I plan to move to a VPS as from what I can tell, it's a lot better than staying on a shared host. Which I didn't plan on anyway.

What I need assistance with is this. I've never really used a VPS. Don't know where to start, what to do, what to look for, etc. So I was wondering if someone could give me a run down on everything I would want in a VPS, things I need to know, etc. The basics. I've seen a loooot of people suggest OVH. Potentially going to try to get something from them but I wanted to get all my information together beforehand.

Any and all information regarding this is appreciated and helpful. :)

2. This is a great place to get tuts on how to set things up https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials But if you can do it on what your friend gave you, you can probably do it on any VPS provider. I would stick with name brands just because you're going to want rock solid stability. I have not used OVH VMs but I do have a dedicated server with them and it's great. As for OS I would use ubuntu if you're new since most tutorials will be made for it and if there isn't one just look for a debian tutorial (ubuntu is based on debian so almost everything should be the same). If you need help setting it up and have a mic and ts3 I'll get you through the basics of setup with who ever you go with.

3. Hello, welcome to the world! :p I would suggest learning Ubuntu, it's simple to learn since they isn't a lot of non sense in the commands. It will take a bit more ram than CentOs, but it's much easier. I would say go for Ubuntu 14.04 since that's what most tutorials are... For tutorials DigitalOcean is great for security and installingapps like LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, phpmyadmin), but for Minecraft I would suggest looking in to Linode, they don't only go over how to install a minecraft server, but bungee and spigot too. I wrote a okay tutorial for ubuntu 14.04 here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V8NgMLoe4YnTldBTC9EX3PZHGa7GtE5n_4JG7QPhVgs/edit

Good luck! ;) You will need it...

4. foncused

Moderator Patron

In general...

Security: Firewall (I use IPTables), SSH keys, server hardening, update and upgrade packages regularly
    OS: This is mostly up to you - I recommend selecting between Ubuntu, Debian, or CentOS (I use Ubuntu)
    Host: OVH (SYS) or Kimsufi (I use both)
    Software: SFTP & SSH clients (I use FileZilla & PuTTY)

If you plan to run multiple Minecraft server instances on your VPS, you will want something like "screen" or "tmux" - I personally use screens.

The Spigot wiki may help you as well as all of the other guides members have written on these forums.