OVH now has Ryzen dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Hosting Advice' started by DotRar, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Thought I'd make this post to let everyone know that today OVH released their revamped game lineup with Ryzen 3600X and 3800X CPUs:
    [​IMG]

The new GAME-1 server with a Ryzen 5 3600X CPU is available for $133/mo ($119 setup) with 32GB RAM, or for $156/mo for 64GB RAM. The server comes with 2x500gb NVMe drives (configurable), a 1gbps connection, and is available in:
    • Canada
    • France (GRA & SBG)
    • Germany (Frankfurt)
    • UK (London)
    • Poland
    The GAME-2 server comes with a Ryzen 7 3800X CPU, 2x1tb NVMe drives (configurable), a 1gbps connection and 64GB RAM for $192/mo ($148 setup). A 128GB RAM version will be available in the future but is currently unavailable. The GAME-2 server is currently only available in France (SBG), however, we can expect both servers to be available in all datacentres in the future, hopefully Vint Hill soon.

This is great news, as these are 2 of the highest performing CPUs for Minecraft servers, finally bringing competition in the AMD server market to both the US (ReliableSite was previously one of the only big providers), and Europe (Hetzner was the only big Ryzen provider). We should see some hosts adopting these CPUs soon, making them easily accessible for all.

2. hold up, there's an OVH discord server? pass me an invite

#2 clx_, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  3. There is not, just an OVH rep is in LET

4. LET?

5. LowEndTalk - it's not Minecraft related in the slightest

6. The 2288G and 3800X are very similar in performance, I've seen benchmarks showing that the 3800X can outperform the 2288G by quite a bit in multithreaded workloads even.

OVH will be rolling out the 2 new GAME servers to all datacentres first over the next few weeks, we'll see if they drop a 3900X/3950X server after that but there was no mention of it. I think what's more likely is that they incorporate the brand new Threadrippers into another lineup first, perhaps INFRA, since they already have an EPYC chip for INFRA-3

7. I currently use an intel core i7-8700k 64GB ram and 2TB SSD and windows server 2016 for £149.20 a month. Do you think this would be a way better deal and much better performance? Currently, 1.15 is laggy and just ugh.

8. It won't make much of a difference since the 8700K performs quite good already. You'd probably be better off installing a proper server OS for a slight performance improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah, a headless Linux distribution would definitely provide better performance.