OVH - Server Advice

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Josh A, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Hi,

I'm looking at the ovh.co.uk Kimsufi range as these are within my server's budget. http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

I'm particularly looking at the KS R-8G. Is this server capable of running Spigot with maybe 80 slots and 20 plugins?

I'm currently with a Minecraft server hosting company that is good but I would prefer to have my own dedicated server. My current host runs the servers on SSD's. The KS R-8G doesn't have SSD's, will I notice a big performance drop?

Basically I would just like some tips, maybe tutorial links and advice about running my server on something like this?

Thanks in advance,
    Josh.

2. Looking at it, running a 7GB minecraft server and leaving 1GB for OS, you are looking at about 84 slots for a vanilla server. With spigot, 75/80 should run with that many plugins.

In terms of SSD vs HDD it all depends on how spread out your players are. If they are roaming the map loading up new chunks all the time, thats when SSD's are much better. However, in this case, I don't think you will see a big performance difference (because 80 players will load most of the map pretty quick, and a lot will share the same chunks.) between SSD and HDD, plus the fact you will only be running one server.

Processor clock speed is good, all of the i series Intel cores are the best for a low-end server so i can't see anything wrong with that (until you want to upgrade further)

Hope i've helped and what i've said makes sense (i do ramble a lot sometimes :p), so good luck with your new server!

Dom

3. Thanks for your response. I think I might need an SSD then because every player is teleported to a new chunk so a lot of chunk generation will be happening all the time. Problem is on OVH the SSD packages are really expensive.

Does anyone know of a good host that has SSD's at a reasonable price?

4. Why are they always being teleported? Ill have a look around for you. What's your budget?

5. Josh A Also what's the best location?

6. It's part of my server. A player types /start and they get teleported 1000's of blocks away to a safe location where their /home will be set. This basically makes griefing impossible. I coded the plugin myself and the concept has proved to be quite popular but I don't feel I'm able to expand fully with my current host.

My price range would probably have to be capped at £40 a month at the most. Thanks for your help, I don't really know the best places to look.

The current server is in the USA so it would be good if it could be kept in America somewhere.

7. Ok, I understand the situation. I'll have a look around for you, I'm assuming you want around 8GB?

8. Yeah around 8GB would be good :)

9. Does uplink speed matter? 100Mbps im assuming?

10. Anything that seems reasonable for running just one Minecrafts server. So I guess 100Mbps would be fine.

11. I remember when i was doing this...its not easy finding a host. Getting a quote from my current host, they may be able to help you. Also looking elsewhere :)

12. Thanks, I really appreciate you helping me :)

13. LiLChris

managed to find:
    Intel Xeon X3350 @ 2.66Ghz
    8gb ram
    128GB SSD (what's currently installed)
    10mbps

$75 /month

With my current host, i could get it down to a 60gb sdd maybe and it would reduce the cost if needed

Other than that, the budget is too small to fit what you are looking for.

14. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

What do I have to do with this convo? :p

15. Those specs look really good!
    $75 is £50 which, looking at my average monthly donations, is pushing it a bit. Can you link me to the host that offers this please? Also 10mbps doesn't seem a lot, is it enough?

16. Shit. sorry Chris.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Its getnodecraft.net, but i opened a ticket to speak to them. Quote ticket id #618061 to talk to them about the quote. 10Mbps should be fine, but you can upgrade if it is too slow. SDD cant go smaller :( If you want financial help, I may be able to sponsor you a little to cover some cost :)

18. LiLChris

LiLChris Retired Moderator
    Retired

You can go straight to the source.
    http://www.codero.com/

Seem to have decent pricing and a nice first month discount.
    Edit...Almost everything in the configuration is out of stock. :mad:

19. The price shoots through the roof after the first month.

20. Thanks for your help. I'll open a ticket with them now to discuss the quote and hopefully we'll reach an agreement. As for funding I think we'll manage so long as we get a similar amount of donations as we have been getting for the past few months. Thanks again. :)