OVH's E5-1620 vs E3-1290V2

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by Meow, Mar 14, 2013.

1. I currently have 10 E3-1290V2 servers with Limestone Networks. Today I just wandering around and checked out OVH and saw that they have very good deal:

EG 3
    Intel E5 - 1620
    4 / 8
    3.6 GHz / 3.8 GHz
    64 GB
    2x 120GB SSD
    MORE

With the clock speed and RAM, SSD availability like that, it can host at least 2 large servers on one machine no problem. Have anyone ever tried E5-1620 or OVH? I only had experience with E3-1290V2, the clock speed is 0.1Ghz faster but there's a big price difference

2. If you don't mind, how much are you paying for each E3-1290 v2 server at Limestone Networks?

3. You are better off with LSN.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CustomForms

CustomForms Retired Moderator
    Retired Supporter

Im going to side with OVH on this one. You can check out some of the other threads about why i feel that way, but if you dont want the hassle of switching hosts, stay with LSH.

5. jeff142

Benefactor

I was considering a move to ovh my self.

6. i use ovh server specs are always in line we are a medium server ranging from 20 to 60 people on at any given time and never a hardware issue..
    also running about 40 plug ins
    im running
    https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/sp_16g.xml

the only thing with them is you need to keep on their asses about getting your server and if you dont use a paid panel their stock free manager is slower then shit their manager 5
    also the best prices around

Hardware

Technology Sandy Bridge
    Processor Intel Core i5-2400
    Intel Smart Cache: 6MB
    Cores 4
    Threads 4
    Frequency 3.1GHz
    Turbo Boost 3.4GHz
    Virtualisation [​IMG]
    RAM
    16 GB DDR3

7. How is OVH's support? I was looking into them a while back. I always find it sketchy when a hosting companies website is sh**ty/laggy though and OVH's website meets both these.

8. I got us this server from OVH a week ago: http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/eg_64g_hybrid.xml

It's been great so far, but I can't really say that much since it's only been a week. Before this I rented a small 13$ a month kimsufi for testing in the french datacenter and I can definitely tell that both the american(canadian) website and server manager look a lot better.

9. any support questions i did asked
    they always answer but from 1 minute all the way up to 2 days but they always answered

10. It depends what you are hosting. If you have a single server, keep the 1290v2.