OVH's IP Fail Overs?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by SexyMime, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Hello, so one of my backend IPs were leaked out the other day for my @ OVH host.
    They wont give me a new IP for my Box, but they keep on telling me to use IP Fail Overs?
    I have 3 more IPS that "link" to my main Boxes IP?

Is there anyway I can use these IPS to stop ddos attacks? Like deny all traffic to main IP directly, but allow traffic through the other IPS, then to the main IP? So essentially its like getting a new IP that nobody knows of?

2. Buy a fail over, edit your network devices. Don't broadcast on the default OVH one that they gave you. Broadcast on the new failover.

And don't post your IP on a bungee error :)

3. But i have 3 fail overs already? What do you mean edit your network devices?

4. nano /etc/network/interfaces for ubuntu, not sure about centos. But you should get something like this
    Code (Text):
     This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 5.135.187.198
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 5.135.187.0
            broadcast 5.135.187.255
            gateway 5.135.187.254

iface eth0 inet6 static
            address 2001:41D0:8:C4c6::1
            netmask 64
            post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add 2001:41D0:8:C4ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0
            post-up /sbin/ip -f inet6 route add default via 2001:41D0:8:C4ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
            pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del default via 2001:41D0:8:C4ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
            pre-down /sbin/ip -f inet6 route del 2001:41D0:8:C4ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0

Add another network device in first, before removing your default one. Reset your networking or restart your node.

If you can access the server from that IP, go ahead and remove your old IP that is being ddosd and only broadcast on your failover.

Do this with caution though. A wrong entry will probably make your server non-accessable; then you will have to boot up in rescue mode and have a pain fixing it.

5. Could I please pay you to help me via skype as Paid support, i was really stupid about showing my backend Ip and need some help ASAP about changing the default server IP. Please be my god and help me out there?

6. Sorry, you'll either have to do it yourself or get someone else to do it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Okay. But I dont really understand what you were saying here.
    "Add another network device in first, before removing your default one. Reset your networking or restart your node.

If you can access the server from that IP, go ahead and remove your old IP that is being ddosd and only broadcast on your failover." Could you please further explain?

8. I'll contact you on Skype in around 15 mins.

9. Okay thank you very much.

10. I will be gone for about 1 hour from now, so just add "mrmime22" and we can speak shortly! thanks alot man.

11. If you are still having issues you can contact my skype jamie.tees232 or email me directly at [email protected] for support :)
    Regards,
    Jamie

12. You know, perhaps you should try to stop the way people are getting your backend IP rather than just trying to get a new one each time

13. jtaylor69

jtaylor69 Retired Moderator
    Retired

You know, someone can easily find out your IP address, especially if they run network monitoring tools.
    Use IP Tables!!