1. Guest, as per the stickied thread, this forum has not been in use since 2014. All bugs and feature requests should be posted to JIRA.

Bug Packet254GetInfo Unreliable with Netty

Discussion in 'Bugs & Feature Requests' started by Bestle, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Bestle

Patron

I am currently grabbing information from Packet254 and have noticed that when using Netty, the packet is only properly received by the server the first time a client sends it. Subsequent requests all fail and the proper information is not read/processed.

The error thrown when reading the packet after the first time is:

Code (Text):
    io.netty.handler.codec.ReplayingDecoder.REPLAY
    Edit:

By running both the server and client locally, it works reliably. The problem appears to be a timing issue when the server is running remotely.

#1 Bestle, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. I noticed this as well. I was trying to make the server compatible with both 1.6.2 and 1.6.4, since no changes were made to the client. The first time, it would give the right protocol, but after that it would return 0.

3. Bestle

Patron

Glad to see I am not alone!

I want to do custom MOTD's based on the information sent in this packet, but it's impossible to do when Netty is enabled.

4. md_5

Administrator Developer

The actual problem is extremely complex and difficult to solve while using a non blocking IO architecture and still integrating backwards support for ancient MC versions. The problem can be fixed pretty trivially, but this would break clients older than 1.6 and most server lists. Actually fixing the problem is a lot more difficult to do.

5. Bestle

Patron

I would be interested to see what a fix for this would be even if it did break server lists?

6. md_5

Administrator Developer

To fix it whilst breaking everything prior to 1.6 and server lists, just remove all the catches in Packet254.java.

7. md_5 I noticed that it catches a throwable and also throws an IOException. Is there any particular reason for both?

8. Maybe we can add a config switch for that?

#8 Shevchik, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  9. Bestle

Patron

That seems to do the job nicely.

Wish some of the voting sites used the updated query. Minestatus and PMC I am looking at you!