PayPal terms changes.

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by Jagarti, May 8, 2015.

1. I apologize if this is in the wrong place but it seems appropriate.

It has recently come to my attention that with the new ownership, PayPal will be implementing a new set of policies. Some of that policy sounds particularly draconian. Here is an excerpt from new policy in the user agreement, here in Canada. I understand it is the same elsewhere.

15.5 License Grant from You to PayPal; IP Warranties. Subject to section 15.6, when
    providing PayPal with content or posting content using Services, you grant us a non-
    exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable, and sub-
    licensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, publicity,
    trademarks, database rights and intellectual property rights you have in the content, in
    any media known now or in the future. Further, to the fullest extent permitted under
    applicable law, you waive your moral rights and promise not to assert such rights
    against PayPal, its sub-licensees or its assignees. You represent and warrant that none
    of the following infringe any intellectual property or publicity right: your provision of
    content to PayPal, your posting of content using the Services, and PayPal’s use of such
    content (including of works derived from it) in connection with the Services.”

15.6 License Grant from Merchants to PayPal. Section 15.5 notwithstanding, if you
    are a Merchant using PayPal Merchant services, you hereby grant us a worldwide, non-
    exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable (through multiple tiers), and royalty-free right
    to use and display publicly, during the term of this Agreement, your trademark(s)
    (including but not limited to registered and unregistered trademarks, trade names,
    service marks, logos, domain names and other designations owned, licensed to or
    used by you) for the purpose of (1) identifying you as a merchant that accepts a PayPal
    service as a payment form, and (2) any other use to which you specifically consent.

Here is the current agreement: https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full
    Here is the new agreement (PDF), effective July 1, 2015: https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_CA/ua/pdf/ints/ua.pdf

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, this means for Spigot and developers with premium resources?

#1 Jagarti, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. Is anyone writing spigot code or plugin using PayPal's API ?

3. Spigot is effectively the middleman between buyers and sellers, and only through PayPal. I feel like this may be relevant.

4. I do not be leave Spigot is a middleman unless Spigot is taking some commotion off from each sale.

I don't think Spigot not plugin developer need to worry about this.

Unless you stat writing a plugin, say, PayPal.jar plugin, which allow a player to access their paypal account and do PayPal transactions in Minecraft.

5. When posting a premium resource, you provide your PayPal account number. When someone buys a plugin, the PayPal purchase is tagged a specific way, sent to your account and Spigot acknowledges that user as having a license to download the plugin. They have to do that with some sort of connection to PayPal's services. The word "content" is a broad one, at that. Especially tricky in legalese.

6. What's happening here: User clicks buy > They get redirected to to PayPal > Paypal sends the money across > Paypal uses their IPN API to tell spigot you made a purchase

Middle man attack: You > Potentially malicious proxy > Proxy makes a log > Requests the site > Proxy sends the data back you and might add it's own code(if html).

No way shape or form is spigot proxying any data, and also you're not connecting to spigot when you're on paypal.

#6 GGhost, May 8, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. IPN is a service of PayPal, which is what provoked my interest in the first place. I wasn't entirely sure of how it was handled as I have not had to purchase any resources yet. Thanks for that info, though.

8. First off, Sorry about the edits I've just been making. The reply still isn't upto scratch now with correct spelling and grammar, but I'll work on it.

Paypal has pages upon pages of documentation on the Instant Payment Notification, and all it says summed up in a sentence is paypal will make an HTTP post request to your site with with the buyers information, if they complete the payment.

#8 GGhost, May 8, 2015
  9. No need to apologize, I'm notorious for the same thing. Rephrases and the like, too. In no way was I ever worried about security. Unaware of the totality of Spigot's dealings with PayPal's "services," I didn't know the scope of what information PayPal's new policy was going to claim as it's prize. I appreciate the help.

10. This section is pretty normal. PayPal will use your logo and content you submit it in places on their domain, and it protects them from some silly person going "PayPal is showing my logo on their website!! Trademark!!"

The new policies are actually a good thing imo. They will finally put some review into disputes over digital goods chargebacks, where as before it was blanket policy the Seller always loses since the seller can't prove a product was received w/o tracking #.