Pinning down the CPU spikes.

Discussion in 'Performance Tweaking' started by LigerXT5, Mar 1, 2013.

1. While idling on my server, after a restart, and only I, the server idles at around 7%.
    When someone else joins and does their things (no teleporting of any kind), the server idles at around 15-20% (more people joining doesn't increase the CPU by nearly as much).
    With just two people on, the active player warps to another location, the cpu spikes to nearly as high as 80% for about 30 seconds, then calms back down.

Theoretically, if more people are trying to warp at around the same time, the server will lag, freeze, or crash.
    It's suggested it might be the outdated xWarp plugin. As there is no way to set prices to warp anywhere with xwarp anymore, I do plan to change to Essentials.

What would cause the CPU spikes? Is it the Chunks loading? Something being done to those chunks when they are loaded? Would it be something not related to xWarp?

edit: plugins below
    Code (Text):

AddSomeFurniture,
    AfkBooter,
    AntiAd,
    ApiPlus,
    BananaLogArchiver,
    boosCooldowns,
    BOSEconomy,
    Buycraft,
    Catacombs,
    CCLogger,
    ChatManager,
    ChestShop,
    CommandBook,
    CraftBukkitUpToDate,
    DeadMansChest,
    Decapitation,
    DiabloDrops,
    dynmap,
    dynmap-mobs,
    Dynmap-Towny,
    ExtraHardMode,
    FAntiXRay,
    glizer,
    GrenadesPlus,
    GUI Creator,
    GunsPlus,
    HawkEye,
    InfoGuide,
    JSONAPI,
    LWC,
    LWCUnlock,
    Mailings,
    mcjobs,
    MineResetLite,
    MobArena,
    MobHealth,
    MobileAdmin,
    Modifyworld,
    MoreMaterials,
    Multiverse-Core,
    Multiverse-Portals,
    NoCheatPlus,
    NoobResponse,
    obuShutTheHellUp,
    OddItem,
    OpenInv,
    PermissionsEx,
    PersonalWorlds,
    PistonChest,
    PlayerPlus,
    PlugMan,
    QuickSignReloaded,
    RedstoneBlocks,
    RemoteToolkitPlugin,
    Reservations,
    rTriggers,
    Screenshot,
    Sign Bank,
    Spout,
    StainedGlass,
    Stats,
    TeleportSuite,
    Towny,
    VanishNoPacket,
    Vault,
    Votifier,
    WorldBorder,
    WorldEdit,
    WorldGuard,
    xWarp

#1 LigerXT5, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

First I suggest you try using the /tp <x> <y> <z> command (or /tppos in Essentials) and teleport to the same location that the warp(s) would take you and see if the CPU spike happens.

If it does: Chunks loading are causing CPU spikes.
    If it doesn't: xWarp is causing the problems.

Tell me how it goes. :)

3. Using TeleportSuit, /loc to a location of a warp, same spike. So it's not xwarp.

4. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

Are you running mcMMO?

5. No.
    Give me a minute and I'll post a list of plugins in the OP. Trust me, someone is going to say Too Many Plugins. I am cutting them back little by little, at least letting players get used to the changes and adapting.

6. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

That's not too many plugins, I used to run around 70 on my survival server, sitting on 55 right now.

Maybe timings will reveal something in the ChunkLoadEvent. Try this and pastebin the results:

1. Do a /timings reset
    2. Teleport
    3. Wait till the CPU drops and then do /timings merged

7. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

8. SuperSpyTX

Supporter

Try removing xWarps and try it again.

According to the timings report, the scheduler is receiving some heavy duty load.

9. Should I just try /loc XYZ?

10. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

GunsPlus is causing that.

Timings.png

11. YoFuzzy3

Supporter

Also CCLogger is doing a lot of stuff on every command. Maybe try PlayerLogger instead, it offers similar features and is more performance friendly from my experience.

12. I use CCLogger to track all chat and commands for viewing via the web. A lot easier than trying to read the server log from the web. One file for commands, one file for chat. Both can be easily read. Player Logger does a lot more than I need.
    Players kept requesting Guns+ even though the plugin rarely had updates, and every time someone logs in, I get an error. Still waiting for a fix for it.