Suggestion Pirating / leaking

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by belal, Feb 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirating and leaking have been so common lately, and the way to avoid that is by allowed licenses, spigot can add it's own license system for premium plugins, generates a new code for each purchase.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Ahh, something easy to remove.
    Premium plugins already have an Anti-Piracy

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

I mean, it's already possible to automatically remove the current system.
    I have my own Anti-Piracy remover that i made forever ago just to prove a point related to how easy it is to remove the current Anti-Piracy system
    I also got bored & dealt with AdvancedLicense as well, again to prove how easy it was to bypass

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. He didn't said it is allowed he said it is bypasseable.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Free plugins use it though :p

Either way, both are stupidly simple to bypass

for AdvancedLicense, it's just making a certain method always return true...
    for the default premium Anti-Piracy, just delete everything related to it

6. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Not really, it wouldn't add much protection.
    Give it less than a week and it would get bypassed most likely

7. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

For my own amusement @belal make an example plugin using a license system. We'll see how long it lasts :)

8. It would be better if spigot can stop creating these ridiculous threads.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Haha,people like this is why i created my own Anti-Piracy remover, being able to remove an Anti-Piracy method quickly via automation sometimes shuts them up :p annoyingly it seems like i never completed one of the removers so i guess i have something to do.

10. Optic_Fusion1

Resource Staff

Not really, all one has to do is remove the Anti-Piracy code once per version

11. Okay not to be that guy but if it were that easy it'd be done already. The current anti-piracy is bypassable and it hasn't been patched for a reason.

The best anti piracy is a good product, with a reasonable price.

#11 darthteddy1, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  12. SteelPhoenix

In the end, there will always be ways of pirating, no matter how hard you try, so it's not worth trying to prevent it.

The people who pirate premium plugins aren't likely to be paying customers anyways.

Just open-source and license your code, then there is no reason to leak/pirate and depending on your license the things people are permitted to do with your code will be limited.

transcript of an inverview with a witcher 3 dev (source)

• Winner Winner x 6
  13. As SteelPhoenix said, at the end of the day everything paid is going to be pirated, sooner or later. You see games are being pirated, programs that cost much money, etc. I bet 9/10 of the people who use photoshop haven't paid for it, but downloaded a pirated copy.

Plugins... they aren't such important thing that they're pirated. Even some developers suggest leaking your premium plugin yourself by adding something like "if you wish to support the developer, you can buy the plugin at <link to the plugin>".

14. Focus on your product, your "customers", and making your product something more complete, unique, dynamic, and if it's worth the money or download, people will get it. Focussing your attention fully on obfuscation and anti piracy is time taken away from customers who have questions, suggestions, feature requests, etc. It'll also be less stressful for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Oh sorry, all these threads are always the same, I just gave the default response.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. No, obviously not.

17. Java is a jitter (just in time compiler). Meaning the source code is "readable". That's both its strength and its weakness. It makes it a lot easier to run the code on several different platforms, but it also means that the code needs to be compiled on runtime (making it slower). And of course the source is easier to read / edit.

You can obfuscate your code, making it quite a bit more difficult for others to pirate your code. But it'll never be 100% secure. Sooner or later someone will de-obfuscate it and you're back at square one. Even if you were to magically find a way to prevent this from happening, there are still other ways to get it done. Like simply using a packet sniffer to monitor the server response and rerouting the plugin through a hosts file in order to simulate the same response yourself.

Truth be told, I'd just not bother with it too much. Leakers will always be behind on your releases if you update often enough and that frustrates users more often than not to just buy it instead. And it's usually those that really have no money at all that use pirated software. You can either condemn them or just be nice to them. Something like "Alright, I'll help you out with that issue / answer your question, but if you want more support from me in the future, you do have to buy a legal version, ok?". That usually ends up in them telling you why they pirated it and they can work out some kind of deal with you making everyone happy in the end.

18. MiniDigger

Supporter

actually, while the JVM has a JIT, it also does tiered compilation. not all code goes thru the JIT, some parts never get past C1, the fast, first level compiler that does not much optimizations.

just some insight.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.