Plugin Snippets

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by jflory7, May 8, 2015.

1. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

Plugin Snippets

Plugin Snippets

User-contributed code examples for simple plugins

What is it?
    Articles under this wiki category contain user-contributed pieces by developers who wish to provide small snippets of code to help you get started writing your own plugin. While they are simple in nature, they are intended to help you get started programming with the Spigot API and should serve as stepping stones for bigger and greater projects! By referencing code snippets or guides in this category, beginning users can read well-composed guides and articles that will teach good habits and provide a useful reference as they begin to dip their feet into the Spigot API.

How can I contribute?
    Want to contribute your own code? First, before creating a wiki article for your example code, please have it peer reviewed in the Spigot Plugin Development forum first. We wish to only publish code that demonstrates good habits and methods that will help developers get started on the right foot.

Once you have had your code peer-reviewed, please create a new wiki article and set the Parent Node as "Plugin Snippets". If you have any questions, please leave them in the discussion thread.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Look at you all wiking it today :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

@Thinkofdeath / @cindy_k: I saw this wiki page looking a little lonely, so I figured I would add a little bit of life to it and see if we can get some user-contributed plugin snippets added to this as well. I'm not sure what your original intention was with this article when you created it, but feel free to expand or add on this as you see fit.

4. cindy_k

IRC Staff Wiki Team Patron

:) that was my intention. If you build it, maybe they will come. :p

5. This looks like a great idea. Will definitely be posting snippets.

6. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

Awesome! :) Just don't forget about getting it peer-reviewed first.

7. Of course!

Maybe you should make the thread on the plugin development sticky. Otherwise it will go down fast. Better to keep at the top where everyone can see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Teg

Teg
    Supporter

@jflory7 I'm a little confused about this 'peer-review' thing. Would you mind explaining a bit more? Why would I need someone else to review example code when they (or someone else) could just edit the wiki page?

9. jflory7

Retired Benefactor

It's basically supposed to act as a "quality filter" so well-written, informative articles are added to the wiki (as compared to a novice programmer adding a quick how-to that teaches bad habits). The intention is to make it so that others review the code and it can be determined whether or not the code is something that does indeed act as a good model for beginning programmers to learn from. If you're a very experienced developer and are well-informed about proper syntax and habits with programming in Java, you could probably skip over the peer review phase; however, I still recommend it as I think it's best to publish your article with your best foot forward from the start.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. You should watch the date of the last reply of a thread before posting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Example on making TabAutoComplete commands! element from the list redirects me back to the plugin snippets main page.