Plugin.yml Annotated?

Discussion in 'Spigot Discussion' started by Kozs, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Is this a discussion point in the Spigot community? I feel like everything the plugin.yml offers can easily be implemented via annotations

@MainPlugin("com.main.Main", name="PluginName", author="author")
    public class Main extends JavaPlugin {

}
    ect...

I would be willing to help with this but I feel the devs are more than capable

Perhaps I am missing a reason for not having this?

Just a curious man asking, let me know what you think :)

Good day

- Kozs

2. Airee

Supporter

I don't see any benefits to using annotations instead.

3. So you're saying that you don't see any benefit in being able to use annotations rather than relying on a Yaml file for these things? That's fine that's not my point I'm trying to make.

I come from the Spring community where it was XML dominated for a while until they started to shift towards all java configurations, it was a huge thing; everyone was competing towards adding this functionality and it seems rather efficient compared to the YML format, because the YML format doesn't tell you when you made an error until runtime. That being said, neither would the annotations if you made an error within the parameters.

It's just something that I found a useful practice; not here to say YML is worse than annotations. I just don't see the point of the middleman if we have better options provided within the scope of the programming language that we're all using to create products

4. how will Spigot now detect / find the plugin class for each plugin? doing that with something like reflection would be an insane performance hit on startup time

5. ??????????????????? annotations don't work like that

#5 Kozs, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. md_5

Administrator Developer

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1