poll how much ram does your server use?

Discussion in 'Systems Administration' started by jacksharkben, May 19, 2020.

?

much ram does your server use?

1. 1gb

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. 2gb

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3gb

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. 4gb

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. 5gb

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. 6+gb

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  7. 512mb

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Well the server I used to work for used 1GB for most servers, but we had at least 50 of them. How much ram you need really depends on your setup and what game you're going to be hosting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Strahan

Benefactor

This. The poll is kind of pointless since the data are not really comparable without knowing anything about the respondents' servers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Really depends on the network itself, if you have a more intensive game mode that has a higher usage of ram you will need to allocate that accordingly.

4. Depends on the type of server you want to host and how much people you expect to play on it, oh yeah, also on how much plugins you have

5. You can throw more ram at a server. It will run slightly faster and do less garbage collection. In the end most servers can run with very little ram. The main bottleneck mostly is the fact that minecraft is single threaded.

6. Currently so many hosts are upgrading to Ryzen & Intel i9 which is proven to be better than the e5 used before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. What type of server? How many players? How many plugins? Mods? Server version? those all count. If you are using a 1.15.2 Spigot server with 20 players and 30 plugins needs about 6+ GB for just any game mode. If its survival it's about 6 GB but if its bedwars, it would be maybe 10-12 GB.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Please tell me this is a joke!! 1.15.2 servers ye arent great when it comes to performance but honestly, 3-4gb for survival will probably run comfortably would suffice for a stock spigot server running like 20 ish plugins for 20-30 players. This would work even better if you pregenerated the world... Also depending on how your running bedwars, and how many players and games are running simulanaenouesly 10-12gb will probably be overkill for bedwars considering the need for only like 3 lobbies in one world you can run the 3 games for 10 people in a separate bedwars world (i am assuming your not going to bungee since you said 10-12gb JUST for bedwars) bedwars has a very limited map size and I doubt you need much in the way of ram to get this going 4gb would probably work well for 20-30 players with a bit of margin for extra memory use. Obviously depending on what else is going on, on the server and potential memory leaks meaning garbage collection isnt as effective you could need more ram but then again if you have a memory leak you got bigger fish to fry...

9. It depends on the type of server

10. I always used 8GB for my factions server, around 100 plugins and 150+ players on release. With restarts every ~12hours, there was no problem, however I use 12GB now.