(Poll) Multicraft or Pterodactyl?

Discussion in 'Server & Community Management' started by Raesak, Jul 15, 2021.

?

Which is better to use?

This poll will close on Jul 15, 2022 at 5:13 PM.
  1. Multicraft (Overall)

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Multicraft (For dedicated)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Multicraft (For shared)

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Pterodactyl (Overall)

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  5. Pterodactyl (For dedicated)

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  6. Pterodactyl (For shared)

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Raesak

Raesak Previously iTrollHard

What are the differences between these two control panels? Which is better to use over all or in specific circumstances and why?

Most server hosting providers I've experience with seem to use Multicraft (or at least a modified version of it?). At the same time, the experience using it is not always that great.
    But, I don't really know what lies under the hood (the code quality, security, ETC).

Pterodactyl seems to be the new one on the block and I haven't heard anything bad about it.
    Although, I also haven't heard anything about the finer details (the code quality, security, ETC).

2. Well, Multicraft is really old, and it has a lot of issues, and its slow, to be honest, i never liked it,

why most hostings use it ? because it have been out there for a long while, that most system admins know how to set it up, so when they go find someone to do the system admin work they ask them, which one do you think i should use ? ( ofc the answer from the sys admin is gonna be what is easier for him to setup, which is Multicraft, because he have been working with it for a long while )
    THIS IS MY OWN THEORY!

I have used both, Multicraft and Ptero, i never liked anything in Mutlicraft more than Ptero, to be honest, ptero is really cool, and easy to customize, and i never go into security or code quality much, since i'm not a code, and i'm not good around security stuff, but yeah it is quite good, and its an open source, so its easy to upgrade it, add extra layers of security to it....etc.

AGAIN THIS IS MY OWN THEORY/OPINION!

3. electronicboy

IRC Staff

Ptero is free, maintained, has support behind it...
    multic is paid software, updates once in a blue moon and hasn't had any real "tech" upgrades in years, and apparently their support email doesn't even respond most of the time.

I think that the answer is pretty clear here between the two.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Back when I started owning servers I used multicraft but once using ptero I preferred it so much however recently I've found that both can have quite big impacts on the running of the vps so started to use screens instead and noticed that my VPS was running so much smoother.