Suggestion Possibility To Self-Trash Threads

Discussion in 'Community Feedback and Suggestions' started by DanielNaaman, Jan 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielNaaman

Supporter

Hello everyone!

I believe that the title says it all.
    But just to clarify, same as members have the ability to trash their own messages and lock their own threads, I don't see a reason for members not to be able to trash their own threads. Perhaps make it something only donators can do.

Thanks in advance for all of those who participate!

#1 DanielNaaman, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. I'm against thread trashing. Unless there is a specific reason (usually a mods discretion) there is no need for a thread to be deleted. Usually they can serve to help people for years to come. I can't tell you how often I find an obscure thread from 2014 or something crazy and it has the exact answer I need. Allowing removal of threads by the masses will hinder future people trying to find answers if people just delete the thread after getting a solution.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. When I first read the title, I was thinking "trashing" like when you trash talk people, haha! Totally misread that obviously.

But I agree with DiamondDagger, a huge part of these forums is the history.
    Quite often people start new threads "how do I do x?", and some replies are just links to previous threads or "use google", but regardless google comes up with a lot of these older threads.
    If people could delete their threads for no reason, the forums would be lacking what makes them special.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. MiniDigger

Supporter

This forum is search engine indexed for a reason.
    There is also a rule against blanking out threads.
    This is very much against the spirit of this community.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Puremin0rez

Exactly this.

There's so many times I've had to look something up and find a thread where someone already covered the possibilities on how to accomplish it - and it's wonderful.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. DanielNaaman

Supporter

Thank you all for sharing your views on this subject. I definitely see this on a different light now.

Thread locked.

#6 DanielNaaman, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.